Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Static Advance
Barksavon

posted on 25/3/15 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto Static Advance

I've a 2litre Pinto in my car with a Newman fast road cam,bike carbs and megajolt ignition. The engine is difficult to start from cold and I'm wondering whether I've got the static (or cranking) advance set right. It's at 14 degrees at present but has been at 12. I've noticed that whilst turning the engine over on the starter every 3rd or 4th turn sounds really slow as if battery is going flat, which having read up on web could be what's referred to as kickback indicating too much static advance? Any advice from anyone with more knowledge on this subject would be massively appreciated
Thanks
Ian

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 25/3/15 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?s=101e27b02877cdda182130a2239d41f1&showtopic=28082&#entry213321

I would say bring it down to 10, if not 8, that is if the megajolt has a cranking advance setting, then once running the idle advance will kick in.

britishtrident

posted on 25/3/15 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Retard the iginition to 7 deg BTDC and see what happens. You will probably find the that 10 deg BTDC will be fine but kicking back occurs as soon as you get beyond 12 degrees.

You can also check the cranking voltage, simple check the battery voltage when you turn the engine over on the starter. Under normal conditions you should see about 10.5v when cranking the engine.

[Edited on 25/3/15 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sjmatthews

posted on 25/3/15 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same issues (also have a Newman cam and bike carbs). I bought a new battery but no joy. My static timing was 10 deg, so not too far advanced, but struggled if below 5 deg C outside.

I could have retarded my ignition, but this would have affected full advance as I use a dizzy (should be about 38 deg), engine response and power. Instead, I have just fitted a high torque starter, which was a real bargain. Much smaller and almost half the weight, it made a real difference to starting:

eBay 1.4kW starter

As others have said, if you have megajolt set the ignition timing whilst cranking to something much closer to TDC.

Good luck, and keep the pinto alive

I'll be in the garage dear!

snapper

posted on 25/3/15 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Beauty of Megajolt is that you can set a cranking advance then an idle advance in the first 2 Rev sites then set the rest as you like as it will extrapolate between large rev differences

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.