Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cover handbrake lever
Humbug

posted on 12/9/05 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Cover handbrake lever

I saw somewhere that people had had problems at SVA with the handbrake lever being insufficiently radiused (even underneath a gaiter). I don't know if I will have a problem but to minimise the risk I came up with this:

A bit of used heater hose with a suitable bend already in it, slit and PUd to the top. A smaller bit of hose PUd underneath, just in case.

PS - I will be refitting the gaiter again afterwards

[Edited on 12/9/05 by Humbug] Rescued attachment 2005-09-12 3 Locost heater hose fitted to brake lever.jpg
Rescued attachment 2005-09-12 3 Locost heater hose fitted to brake lever.jpg

jos

posted on 12/9/05 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a bloody good idea.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

VinceGledhill

posted on 12/9/05 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
I just put a leather gaiter on mine and it was fine. That's what's on a family run about and they get type aproval so will be OK

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Hellfire

posted on 12/9/05 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Did similar to Mr Humbug but with that foam pipe lagging stuff.

It's really comfortable for resting your elbow on whilst driving.

Avoneer

posted on 12/9/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I think it really nees a gaitor as well as you can get to the "teeth" of the ratchet when it is on.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 12/9/05 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
I think it really nees a gaitor as well as you can get to the "teeth" of the ratchet when it is on.

Pat...

Hence my PS that I will be reftting the gaiter - you can see the inside of the gaiter on the right hand side, peeled forward from the lever itself.

Humbug

posted on 12/9/05 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VinceGledhill
I just put a leather gaiter on mine and it was fine. That's what's on a family run about and they get type aproval so will be OK

I am pretty sure that I saw on here somewhere that someone had failed even with a gaiter, so I thought I would make it less likely to fail. As Hellfire says, it should also be a bit more comfortable on the left arm/elbow

[Edited on 12.09.2005 by Humbug]

wilkingj

posted on 12/9/05 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jos
Thats a bloody good idea.

THATS what this site is all about

We all have the odd good idea, none of us have ALL the good ideas!..

Excellent stuff.. I am getting towards SVA.. Thanks for the ideas!..

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 12/9/05 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I failed on radius edge of the sierra hand grip,the gator i used tied up very close to the end but with the deadly radius gauge it was just outside the limit (2.5mm i think) i just made up an extension to the original gator to cover.

Beware also the release button as i have heard some have failed as well,very petty in my opinion. Rescued attachment MK Indy build pics 171.jpg
Rescued attachment MK Indy build pics 171.jpg

indykid

posted on 12/9/05 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
i used a rover p6 hanbrake lever, and pu'd a cut down standard nut cover (as in not tifosi) to the end.

it definitely needed it, as the button has square edges, and is chromed, but still applies to the sierra one too

hth
tom

JoelP

posted on 12/9/05 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
i would STRONGLY recommend having a full gaitor. I was driving along recently and looked down, to my horror the free end of my harness straphad fallen down the hole and was brushing the prop. Can you imagine what it would do if it got wrapped round it?! maybe even fatal.

Im getting a full gaitor to cover it, once i can be arsed taking it out again!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Humbug

posted on 13/9/05 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
OK - here is the gaiter refitted. Looks good to me, though I am a bit concerned about radiuses on the end of the lever and the button (see next post) Rescued attachment 2005-09-13 1 Locost handbrake lever and gaiter refitted.jpg
Rescued attachment 2005-09-13 1 Locost handbrake lever and gaiter refitted.jpg

Humbug

posted on 13/9/05 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Here is a closeup of the end of the lever - what do you think about the radiuses?

How about the solution on the right: bike inner tube over the lever to just go up to the end of the lever and a Tifosi bolt head cover PUd onto the original button? Rescued attachment 2005-09-13 3 Locost handbrake lever with shroud and different button.jpg
Rescued attachment 2005-09-13 3 Locost handbrake lever with shroud and different button.jpg

indykid

posted on 13/9/05 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
that should be alright, as long as you can make it look permanent. can you superglue the inner tube to the nut cover?

i took my identical handbrake cover back because of the radius issues.
tom

coovey

posted on 13/9/05 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
I just had a leather gaiter, but i did see the inspector grip it to see if anything stuck through. Got to be a good idea to pre empt the problem though.

Humbug

posted on 13/9/05 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Now changed the inner tube for another spare bit of convoluted rubber wiring shroud (from a Metro door) - it grips the lever and hopefully it looks a bit more "permanent" Rescued attachment 2005-09-13 4 Locost handbrake lever with rubber end cover.jpg
Rescued attachment 2005-09-13 4 Locost handbrake lever with rubber end cover.jpg

RazMan

posted on 13/9/05 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
Now changed the inner tube for another spare bit of convoluted rubber wiring shroud (from a Metro door) - it grips the lever and hopefully it looks a bit more "permanent"

Nah .... I reckon that might fall off 200 yards from the SVA centre

Great mods Humbug - I will be doing something similar to my Richbrook alloy handle.

p.s. I find that a hot glue gun makes a really good 'permanent' glue - it peels away nicely without leaving a blemish on most materials

[Edited on 13-9-05 by RazMan] Rescued attachment handbrake.jpg
Rescued attachment handbrake.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.