Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust / Heatshield again - which is best option for SVA
whitestu

posted on 4/9/06 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust / Heatshield again - which is best option for SVA

Hi

So, shoudl I leave my heatshield on and try to make it SVA friendly or leave it off and wrap / cover the sharp edges of the can?

Pic 1
Description
Description

Pic 2

Description
Description

Thanks

Stu

graememk

posted on 4/9/06 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
wouldnt it be easier to trim the heatshield to make it sva friendly

whitestu

posted on 4/9/06 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure really.

Even with the heat shield on the underside of the can will be contactable.

Whether this will be below the theoretical floor line is difficult to say. It isn't below the actual floor line of the side of the car.

However the heatshied will take trim without it melting.

My other option was to wrap the ends of the can in exhaust wrap or something similar.

Cheers

Stu

James

posted on 4/9/06 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the Lolocost silencer on a Pinto engine. I didn't bother with a heat shield. Got through SVA fine.

I've also stuck 'U' trim on the leading and trailing edges and it hasn't melted after nearly 1000miles.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

whitestu

posted on 4/9/06 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'll do both - i.e. trin the can and the heatshield with U trim and see how I get on.

Thanks

Stu

02GF74

posted on 5/9/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
well I almost got mine through so learing from me should help ya!

firstly stuff is not tested from below the floor line so you don't need to worry.

secondly a heat shield is not required - I think there are problems in getting one through - I took mine off.

Now the problem is the can edges at the front and back, and the support piece on yours.

to get round those, make an ali cone; base has littlel tabs the go inside the can ege and the other end a hose clip secures them - to get round edging on the hose clip, use exhuast paste.

mine failed on the rubber not being durable - I put that on the can edge in an attempt to smooth the transition from can to cone; using exhaust paste may have go past that.

I will post photos as it is quite enlightening - if your metal fabrication is accurate enough, you may get it past with out any filler (mine was done on the last day prior to SVA)

whitestu

posted on 6/9/06 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks and congratulations - not a bad result, and at least now you have a list to work to.

I had thought about a cone to hide the sharp edges, but was going to see how I got on.

I think I'll have a go at making one after your experience as I have plenty of time.

It seems crazy that some centre are happy with a bit of rubber trim whilst others are not.

When you say stuff isn't tested below the floor line, did you mean the theoretical floor line or the bottom of the side panel?

The bottom of my exhaust is above the bottom of the side panel, although I could easily lower it.

I'd be interested to see your photos of the cone.

Cheers

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.