Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5years Building, now SVA
RobBrown

posted on 26/9/06 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
5years Building, now SVA

After 5 years, 2 kids and a few grand, I have got to the point where I have the SVA booked for next Tuesday(3rd October).
There a few photo's in my archive "PreSVA", wonder if you guys could run your eyes over them for obvious show stoppers.
The things I am concerned about are:
Handbrake lever - edges
Tunnel - Ali trim edge
Dashboard radius.
Side Door seal outside edge - could be classed as sharp?
Brake cable connection into the side panel - should it be covered?

The things I know I need to do between now and then are:
Brake balance bar pinning
Rear Fog Lamp - make vertical
Adjust mirrors to give better field of vision.
Move Mikalor exhaust bracket round so it is exempt from the radii check.
Extend front indicators out so they are within 400mm of edge(Back is wider than front by 4 inch so have to be careful). Also not too far to be touched by front wheel on lock.

Can you think of anything else? Most of this stuff I have picked up from this forum, so am grateful already.

I wouldn't classs my build as top notch, but am pleased to have got the point of getting to SVA.

The bonus is also that AF only quoting me £148 fully comp.

marcjagman

posted on 26/9/06 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Bonnet catches look like they could fail, are there sharp edges around the air filter cut outs? Can't see clearly but are there nut covers on everything that counts?
RobBrown

posted on 26/9/06 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
The "PreSVA" Folder in my archive (click here) has some close up pictures. The Bonnet catches are the rubber SouthCo ones and the filter cut-out has U trim round it, so should be OK

Rob

[Edited on 26/9/06 by RobBrown]

oliwb

posted on 26/9/06 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I reckon you should have a look at:
- Tunnel edges (maybe just remove the metal trim for SVA)
- Door Seal edge (plastic trim under it would solve)
- Windscreen uprights? Radiused?? - can't really tell!
- Spring nut adjuster on front shocks - sharp?
- Flexi hose joint prob needs covering.....
All things I think you've mentioned or probably though of. Nice looking car by the way - especially the engine bay...5 yrs has obviously paid off! Enjoy it.....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 26/9/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Lovely colour, but I am biased.
I would be worried about.
Hand brake radius
shock bottoms
zip strap tails on ball joint covers
top wishbone mounting bracket edges
S. belt angle
tunnel edges
Exh shield.
Steve.

stevec

posted on 26/9/06 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry forgot the important bit Good Luck with the test.
Steve

RobBrown

posted on 26/9/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark.

1. I was planning on using a rubber inner tube for that.
2. Just measured it. It is quite close but probably about an inch too low. Too late to do anything between now and Tuesday, so will leave it and see what happens .
3. I might just fit a standard Ford one for now and change it back again after I have passed
4. Again I might just remove and find something else to cover the carpet edges with. Any suggestions?
5. Should be OK as guard came from a Westie.
6. What would you suggest here? It is difficult to think of something that wont look too temporary.

Regards

paulf

posted on 26/9/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
That is a neat looking car.
I agree with the points others have made but also think that the bottom flanged part of the headlamp mounting may need some edge trim around it, I used some petrol pipe split down the middle and then wrapped it around and superglued the ends together.
You may need to fit an extra horizontal bar to the roll cage to get the correct height for the seat belt mounts.
Maybe a length of rubber tube could be slipped over the top of the front flexi to cover the nuts, it may not be a problem though as it is classed as behind the contact area as it is behind the wishbones.
Paul.

DavidM

posted on 26/9/06 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
1) Check the front flexis on full lock both ways to make sure they are not contacting anything.
2) Check that it "attempts" to self centre.
3) Check the under dash area for contactable edges.

Build looks top notch to me, good luck.

David

Proportion is Everything

marshall

posted on 27/9/06 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
hi i was look in at the big bung on the back of your exhaust if it is the one from custorm chrome? then it will need to have
a bit of rubber glued on the top edge as mine looks the same and it failed on this bit.

RobBrown

posted on 27/9/06 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, from Custom Chrome, where exactly do you mean. Also did you pass with or without heat shield on siliencer?

Regards
Rob

marshall

posted on 28/9/06 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
yes it did pass without a heat shield.
and the bit i mean is at the tall end were the bolt from the big black rubber bung
edge .as you look down at it it's the edge close to you only cover the top half

02GF74

posted on 28/9/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
engine bay - fuel hose marked? look at the loom in middle/right of photo - could it be better secured so it don't flap round?

inside wheel area - check the lower steering arms, are edges contactable - the lower and upper edges may fail (my lower one did; easy enough to get a grinder and put a curve).
before:
steering arm edges
steering arm edges

after:
steering arms edges smoothed
steering arms edges smoothed

seat belts - check mounting - you need a block on the seat and the mounts are 450 mm above; your seats look like
they have fat seat bases so I would bet yours are too low. Are seat belt bolts marked?

mirrors - they look like they are mounted too low I'll bet they won't give you the right vision - see where they are on mine;
just about passed with some head movement
after SVA test
after SVA test

RobBrown

posted on 28/9/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Grinding the top of the steering arm is a great Tip, thanks. I'll add it to the ever growing list of things to do before Tuesday

Field of vision with the mirrors is always going to be tricky on these cars, the problem I have with the mirrors isn't the height, its the lack of side to side movement with the CBR650 mirrors. I need to have a play with different positions and making the angle in the stalk slightly more acute.

Seat belt eye is definitely too low, eye is not marked even though it came with the belt.

I'll post a different question regarding modifying the height, I have a few ideas just need clarifying. Just something else to add to the list!

Cheers
Rob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.