Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ok, what about this.....?
Alan B

posted on 6/6/03 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, what about this.....?

Hi again guys.......sorry for hogging the forum...(not really, you can always ignore me....)

I got this sent to my by a pro designer in California.........

Personally....I love it.....like wow!!!!!........

Just me or is it really nice?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 6/6/03 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Startling!

The hole behind the arch is a "discussion point" - at the moment I'm not sure that I like it, but I could easily change my mind!

No, on second glance, it holds a lot of promise...

cheers,

David

Spyderman

posted on 6/6/03 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Initial impression is WOW!

However being the pessimist that I am, I would need to see the front view and front 3/4 view.

As long as the front wings are radiused and not as they appear to be, angular. This definately softens the front end.

The vent at the back of the front wheel would be a good way to exit the hot air from the radiator. However you would then be drawing this heated air into the engine bay. Maybe being over critical here a bit!

The rear side vent is nice, but needs to be larger. Slightly longer, but not much.

Can't really tell, but it looks like the inner side of the wheel arch is not vertical, but angled at approx 30 degrees from vertical.
This is something that I had thought about, but could not show in editing pictures. I'm not skilled enough for that. This would tend to pull the front in together and soften the transition between wheel arch and bonnet.

I feel like I am always criticising your work.

You definately need to sort out a screen though, as this will change apearances again.

Terry

Spyderman

Noodle

posted on 6/6/03 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
It has a touch of the Chris Bangle BMW's about it, with their 'Flame' something or other design pattern (Z4 and proposed 1 series)

Also in that picture is looks like the steering wheel has moved to the correct side!

It's not just you Alan. It is really nice.

Neil.

Alan B

posted on 6/6/03 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
This is fun for me...I can stand on your side and be critical......

Although some will not like it....for sure...

I think many would say "wow, I've got have it...."

BTW, isn't his colour, lighting, reflections, shadows etc awesome.....looks soooo real....IMO

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mave

posted on 6/6/03 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
......(speechless)

Yep, I like it! Seems much more difficult to make the mo(u)ld, but I really like it.

Adding a screen could indeed change a lot.

Alan B

posted on 6/6/03 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
and that is the stylists job.......to make it so desirable that engineering will find a way to produce it....whatever it takes..
sgraber

posted on 6/6/03 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Holy COOL Car Batman!

Alan, My jaw dropped when I saw that thang! I think that you will sell a LOT more cars if you incorporate some of those ideas into your car. The way the car fits together as a more cohesive unit, how the bodylines flow to create an impression of going 100mph while standing still, is just striking. He did a fantastic job (in Photoshop it appears) to modernize your original design. I also think that it looks like it came out of BMW's design studio. That is very, VERY cool!!!!

The rear quarterpanels are now so simple and uncluttered. And adding that lower panel across the side slab just makes the car look so damn aerodynamic, like air just wants to flow over and around it. WOW. I think that the opening behind the front wheel arch could be filled with a series of "gills" I can certainly picture the vent air from the radiator escaping through there.

What are you plannning on doing with the windscreen?

I HOPE you do this!

Steve Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Spyderman

posted on 6/6/03 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Alan, My jaw dropped when I saw that thang! I think that you will sell a LOT more cars if you incorporate some of those ideas into your car. The way the car fits together as a more cohesive unit, how the bodylines flow to create an impression of going 100mph while standing still, is just striking. He did a fantastic job (in Photoshop it appears) to modernize your original design. I also think that it looks like it came out of BMW's design studio. That is very, VERY cool!!!!

Steve Graber

From BMW?

Now that is a death knell if ever there was one!
BMW - spit - spit!

I'd disassociate myself form this Guy if I were you Alan.

Terry

Spyderman

ned

posted on 6/6/03 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I like it, just think it needs a little something to smooth the join between the front and middle body sections, basically tht hole behind the wheel arch needs dealing with. apart from that, looks more flowing, though I agree with what someone said about making the rear air scoop bigger. very nice.

Guess its a case of "watch Alans space"

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

ned

posted on 6/6/03 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
how does this look to people, much more flowing i think.

not very well shaded i know and will need the windscreen and repeater indicator to get the 'real' look.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

GO

posted on 6/6/03 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say, thats one 5exi looking car!

Not sure if I prefer the designers version or ned's modified version. Ned's is less in-yer-face, but maybe thats what you want!

robinbastd

posted on 6/6/03 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Ned,but t'other one wins because it has a certain "Wow- I want one" feature.I'd rather have something that people loved or loathed,rather than thought was "quite nice" in a "nice cup of tea" way if you get my drift!
Over to you Mr B

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Metal Hippy

posted on 6/6/03 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Ned, gotta be Designer Chappie's arch.

It's unusual enough to make people take a third or fourth glance, not just a second...

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

ProjectLMP

posted on 6/6/03 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Looks kind of cool. Its amazing what a few subtle changes can do the appearance of a car. Maybe the vent behind the front wheel could be a little smaller. Anyhow, should be good for reducing lift on the front end by letting the high pressure air build up under the front arches escape.

On a slightly different topic, I would like to see some form of double roll bar. I have a feeling that the one you have could get ripped off in a rollover with the lack of rearward support.

Home of the Astronomicalcost Mid engined LMP project

Alan B

posted on 7/6/03 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul, yes the changes are subtle but the difference is dramatic......

I'll probabaly be doubling up the rollbar but forward slightly rather than back...

Winston

posted on 7/6/03 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
WOW. Very nice. There's not a thing that needs changing, IMO. Gills in the vent behind the front wheel would look good, but they're not necessary. I actually like that vent as-is.

I agree with the BMW references... but along the lines of BMW meets [gasp, dare I say it?] Lotus.

Please keep all "stupid Yank" references to a minimum

-Winston

EDIT: these comments were directed towards the designer's version. Sorry ned.

[Edited on 6/7/2003 by Winston]

Jon Leeper

posted on 7/6/03 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Wow!

I have been followiung in awe already but now just wow! I have to agree that ned's is just a little to "easy" on the eye and that the designer look grabs you by the ball and dosen't let go! I am not quite convinced about the rake on the forward edge of the front wheelarch, but just being ultra critical ;-)
By the way do you do master classes? :-) I'm just starting and the level of professionalism is scaring me just a little bit! Still fainheart and all that! Keep up hte good work cos I just love looking at it,

Jon Leeper

If in doubt, blow it up!

sgraber

posted on 7/6/03 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Alan, I'd kinda like to see a side view of the car with a person seateed to let me see more of a human scale. How far above your head does the rollbar extend?

Steve

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Scouse Monkey

posted on 7/6/03 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Alan,

Tweaked look is the dogs danglies. Would be interesting to see it in a few different colours, might be worth having a play with filters in photoshop.

How long is that going to take you? I am sure you will get a few orders, much nicer than a lot of other cars of that style.

Scouse

PS you may need a new avatar

[Edited on 7/6/03 by Scouse Monkey]

Alan B

posted on 7/6/03 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Winston - Steve suggested gills too....damn Yanks...

Jon - I reached a point were I knew my limitations..styling. Sure I could style car that would sell, but it would have compete hard in every other area....low wow factor..This version IMO has so much WOW that people will have their cheque books out before they even know how much.....I know the rest will be Ok, I'm very confident, but the styling needed a step up, IMO.

Steve - will do

Scouse - I agree, most kits don't look...well.....profesionally styled....I think this now does because it is/will be...
Shhh....quiet about the avatar......I'll have to speak nicely to Merlin again...

flyingkiwi

posted on 7/6/03 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
It certainly is an eye catching, smart looking motor

How about adding a Ferrari testarossa (rear wheel arch) or a 575 Maranello (front wheel arch) style to fill in the hole in the front arch?

The the car has a nice curvy flow to it but I think its butt needs to be a bit bigger, I love big butts

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

David Jenkins

posted on 8/6/03 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Alan,

I've finally made my mind up...
... I like it a lot!

You will have to take some care with the 'trimmings', but it has a heap of potential.

DJ

Alan B

posted on 8/6/03 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
David,

I'm glad it has grown on you....
It has for me, and I loved at the start...

Even though it will be extra work for me, it is now the car I pictured (although could not quite express) based on the original concept....I just didn't have that artistic ablility to be able to nail it....

I could not stand back before and honestly know if I liked or not......difficult judging you own work...now I do know...

That is the car I will make....

Spyderman

posted on 8/6/03 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Now comes the difficult part!
Making it look like the image.
As you well know Alan!

You had a plan originally, but deviated for various reasons.
I think without 3D templates it could be very difficult making it look like the image.
Best of luck Alan!

Terry

Spyderman

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.