Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Private plates
James

posted on 1/7/03 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Private plates

A couple of questions about private plates:

I've been offered a car that I want a few parts off that also has an age related private plate.

The plate is of no interest to me but the age of the car is!

Would it be possible for me to get an age-related plate for the car from DVLA and at the same time will I be able to keep hold of the private plate so I can sell it (it's reasonably valuable)?

I can then use the car as a donor as normal but make some money on the private plate.

What's the cost involved in getting an age-related plate for a 'normal' car?

Thanks,

James

bob

posted on 1/7/03 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Does this possible donor car have a valid MOT

stephen_gusterson

posted on 1/7/03 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
the little I know about this is that it costs about 150 quid to have a number changed.

You can scrap the car and keep the number on a 'retention certificate' - dunno how much that costs.

Why dont you contact the mega number of online number plate dealers and as em what its worth and whats involved?

atb

steve

ChrisW

posted on 1/7/03 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
When I sold the plate of an old Mk2 'scort the company gave me a guide price, advertised it and then when someone bought it they phoned me up and said they wanted it. A free 'normal' reg (the same year) was supplied for the car.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 1/7/03 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
The car will be allocated a number relevant to the year of the vehicle if you sell the number that is on it. My van has an Irish plate on it and would be a 97 P plate if I changed it back but it would cost more than the plate is worth.

yours, Pete

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andyps

posted on 1/7/03 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Valid point from Bob about the MOT - the car giving up the private plate has to have a valid MOT in order to take the plate from it.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Spyderman

posted on 1/7/03 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
How does having a MOT affect your registration transfer?

How would DVLA know if you had a MOT or not?

Spyderman

PeetBee

posted on 2/7/03 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
I believe a current mot is one of the bits of evidence dvla ask for to alow you to transfer a number.

This is probably to stop people transfering numbers off scrapped cars.
You may ask what's wrong with that, but if the number is no longer allocated to a vehicle, DVLA can sell it themselves!!

You face the same problem with vehicles that weren't added to swansea's computer system when they computerised in the late 70's.
I tried to apply for the logook for a classic motorbike that had been stored since the early 70's and dvla just denied all knowledge of the numberplate & vehicle because it wasn't on their computer system

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.