Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sheering and suspension edges
MB

posted on 30/8/03 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
sheering and suspension edges

Was just wondering what other builders have done to cover their sharp track rod end bolts and suspension bolts / nuts / split pins?

I realise that pipe insulation is not SVA friendly from previous posts!

I was considering using split rubber hose and cable ties...

CairB

posted on 31/8/03 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
I used plastic domed nut covers. I failed SVA the first time for having foam covering the track rod end lock nut that I had put on as I couldn't source M14 covers. The SVA inspector was helpful in suggesting Westfield who supplied M14 & M18 covers for the upper wishbone ball joint as well.

Colin

zetec

posted on 3/9/03 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
You can get multi packs of covers from a few kit product suppliers, but if you need a few of the larger sizes for suspension bolts try your local nut/bolt/tool supplier. They sold me 20 covers for m12 bolts for £2, they are £6 per 100 normally. I've fiited them on all the suspension nuts even those you cannot see so that if in the future I need to remove them the nuts should'nt be covered in road grime.
mreveready

posted on 3/9/03 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
SVA sharp bits

Guys,
I've just helped a builder get through the SVA with self vulcanising tape (OK I also sell it on my site)
BUT FACT! This type of tape is considered permanent, OK you can cut it off afterwards (don't quote me) but unlike electrical tape once it is applied it is considered a permanent barrier. Well it is if you leave it on!!

Hope this helps

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.