Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Track car mods for SVA, help?
Alez

posted on 15/9/03 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Track car mods for SVA, help?

Hi,

I'm after buying a bike engined, road legal locost. I've seen this Indy Blade for sale: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifiedpics/13433-1.jpg It is a pure track car, but I'm seriously considering buying it and modifying it so it passes the SVA. Problem is my complete lack of experience. I'll be visiting the guy who is selling it this weekend, I would appreciate your advice on how to evaluate the work, money and hassle I would need to spend on the car to make it road legal.

In the pic, I can see it has lights, which is a good sign, but I would like to know about things that could be expensive to modify or fit, so I can take a detailed look when I go to see the car. Things that I've heard and come to my mind are: Exhausts and noise restrictions, if it doesn't pass, is it expensive to change them or modify them, whatever? Steering security lock, I've heard you need that for it to pass SVA, can I take for granted that the car will have it, just like road legal ones, due to donor parts from road cars being used to build it? Any thoughts and past experiences please share. Also, is mine a good idea at all or you wouldn't recomend it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,

Alex

Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 15/9/03 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Alex,

You are not alone!

Check out my photo archive:

I'm building a road legal trackday car from a part built rolling chassis I bought from a guy who was building it to enter the 750mc Locost series.

They're are a lot of SVA points to consider; see my dash layout and switchgear for starters. I've race master cylinders with no cap switches (SVA no-no), and a brake bias adjuster (must be "Fixed" for sva).Steering columns not got enough safety features, seat belt mounts, front indicators, dashboard edges, grill, immobilsor, etc etc etc etc etc.

But it is doable (or else I'm stuffed!)

Good luck,

Ask whatever you need to know.

Dave

www.nurburgring.org

Alez

posted on 15/9/03 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your support mate, and best luck!

Cheers,

Alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.