Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front end SVA advice
thepest

posted on 6/11/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Front end SVA advice

Hey Guys, I am trying to get my car ready for sva standards, here are photos of my front end. I know already I have 2 failure points:

1) Indicator too far rearward
2) Jutting edge from beside the nosecone.

I was planning on moving the indicators forward anyway onto the nosecone,but could I out them in such a way in front of the jutting edge as to kill 2 birds with one stone?

On my last photo the rear view, the bonnet latches behind the headlamp do they need a cover like my rearward one or may I leave it as is?

Any other failure points please tell me guys.
p.S. Thanks for the advice chippy hope to meet you again soon.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

BenB

posted on 6/11/07 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
You could do what I did- passed SVA fine.
Got a length of black 40mm waste pipe and some MDF.
Cut out 4 circles of 12mm MDF (same diameter as the indicator light). In two of them I cut out a 40mm hole so that the waste pipe was a snug fit. Contact glued the holed and un-holed pieces to make end caps and glued them onto the tube. Instant indicator spacer....

Sorts out the indicators being too far back and prevents the examiner getting to some bits of the bodywork with the big globe...

Dave J

posted on 6/11/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
You might want to cover the cap heads on your wisbone bolts as they won,t pass the rad test.

Have you put edging on the outside of your cycle wings?, it,s not obvious on the photo.

I would definately cover the front bonnet latches. If the dreaded radius gauge can be applied then better safe than sorry.

Best of luck with the sva.

Cheers

Dave

matt_claydon

posted on 6/11/07 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Most SVA testers wouldn't pass your bonnet catch covers - they don't exactly look 'permanent'!
Schrodinger

posted on 6/11/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^^ What Matt said, last time I took a car for SVA I was told that they are looking for a solution that a mainstream manufacturer would use, and that needs to be permenant.

Keith
Aviemore

thepest

posted on 6/11/07 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys, well the covers are a snug piece of air conditioner pipe insulation, which is cabletied to the bonnet latch. True not permanent but surgery is required to remove them... however just in case I bought me a set of bonnet latches from car builder solutions, I guess I might as well fit them right away.

The cycle wings are covered, with trim, well just the front and the part that goes outside of the wheel, the inside and rear end are not covered.

As for the top wishbone bolts, yes I know they wont pass which led me to my first question about the indicators.
Benb what is MDF? I like what you did with your setup, I think I will try it out.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Chippy

posted on 6/11/07 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
MDF

Hi Phil, MDF stands for Medium Desity Fibre board, it's a bit like chip board, but the material that it's made from is much finer, very soft and easy to cut. Needs treating with something like an epoxy glue to keep it waterproof, and stop it from getting rain water in. Bit like the weather was for the last week or so in Malta. Look forward to our next meeting. Cheers, Ray
BenB

posted on 7/11/07 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I sprayed it with black paint and gave it a quick coat of household varnish.....

I was too busy driving the car afterwards to take them off for a few weeks. They survived quite well!! Eventually the water got in and the MDF puffed up and split...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.