Board logo

Any thoughts on Impact Wrench
Schrodinger - 1/5/22 at 03:17 PM

I am looking to buy an impact wrench to add to my tool kit, so far I have looked at Dewalt, Makita & Ryobi.
Can anybody recommend a model for me. I will not be giving it heavy use but would lik something tolast.

Sanzomat - 1/5/22 at 04:04 PM

I guess the main choice is what batteries do you already have. My cordless tools are all Erbauer EXT now so when they brought out an impact wrench I went for theirs as a bare unit. Very happy with it. Rattles off wheel nuts no problem and even managed a crank pulley with a fair few rattles to start it off. Battery lasts ages so no need to go for a high capacity one. No adjustable torque but I mainly use it for loosening and just do up until the first ugga dugga then change to a socket/torque wrench. I've got loads of Erbauer EXT tools and all the brushless ones seem pretty bullet proof and I've given them quite a bit of abuse now. The only one that I managed to kill off was the brushed combi drill but I only bought that for the batteries as it was on offer with 2 batteries, a charger and case for less than the price of 2 batteries at the time!

ReMan - 1/5/22 at 05:51 PM

One of these changed my life
Current screwfix offer, just get a cjheap battery and charger

See my thread, pattern battery and charger, its not failed me on anything yet
https://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=215614

[Edited on 1/5/22 by ReMan]

Slimy38 - 1/5/22 at 06:24 PM

I went for the Clarke mains power one, it's about a fifth the price of most decent wrenches but it's probably priced about right. To be fair it did help to detach an MX5 driveshaft from the upright, so I guess it's earned it's place in my garage.

I still wonder about getting some sort of battery one though.

mark chandler - 1/5/22 at 10:20 PM

I have started using Milwaukee battery tools so splashed out on one of these

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/m18fhiwf12-0-impact-wrench-bare-unit

It’s amazing, sheers tractor wheel nuts on full power!

So I got myself a 1/4” hex drive for smaller stuff and some hex to square 1/4” 3/8” & 1/2”

https://uk.milwaukeetool.eu/en-gb/m18-fuel-one-key-8243;-hex-impact-driver/m18-oneid2/

This little puppy beats any air tool wrenches that I have had with ease.

[Edited on 1/5/22 by mark chandler]

big_wasa - 2/5/22 at 12:34 PM

I picked Dewalt over Milwaukee as Milwaukee didn’t offer a couple of tools I wanted at the time.
I have the dewalt 1/2” impact and it did the Sierra front and rear hub nuts with ease and the rears are quoted at something like 300+ ft/lb.

number-1 - 2/5/22 at 01:13 PM

Im watching this thread as i am also in need of something smaller than the one i have. Its a NEILSEN CT3141. It wont undo wheel nuts unless they are cracked already but has got me out of a few situations well

ReMan - 2/5/22 at 02:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by number-1
Im watching this thread as i am also in need of something smaller than the one i have. Its a NEILSEN CT3141. It wont undo wheel nuts unless they are cracked already but has got me out of a few situations well

Why would you want one that won't manage to undo wheel nuts?
Nevertheless the DEwalt and Milwawkeee are both quite big, but I take that for what they are capable of

number-1 - 2/5/22 at 04:28 PM

Erm....... im not....... I was saying the one i have doesn't undo them....hence me after a new one

pigeondave - 2/5/22 at 04:46 PM

This channel is good for tests and reviews
https://www.youtube.com/c/TorqueTestChannel/videos
theres also a league table which they do.

rusty nuts - 24/5/23 at 05:43 PM

I’ve recently treated myself to a Milwaukee as mark chandler recommended, yes it wasn’t exactly cheap but it’s without a doubt the most powerful 1/2” drive impact wrench I have ever used . Way better than my battery powered Dewalt and my Snap On air
wrench

40inches - 24/5/23 at 07:43 PM

I have the Ryobi, because I already had the charger. I was initially disappointed with the 2.5 amp battery fitted, but a cheap ebay 5 amp battery sorted it. It will undue a wheel nut torqued to 120 ft/lb That's all I need.

SJ - 25/5/23 at 12:38 PM

I just use an air powered one on the very occasional time I need it.

A far more useful tool is an electric ratchet. Best tool I ever bought for working on a car.