Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: securing brake pipes to axle?
blakep82

posted on 13/12/08 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
securing brake pipes to axle?

I retubed my axle so i've got none of those little metal fold over tabs left on it, how else can i secure them?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Macbeast

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Use rubber/metal P clips. If the holes required for this make the axle too weak, it wasn't strong enough in the first place
blakep82

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
not sure i really want to drill holes in my axle. the tubes are plenty strong enough, but i don't want water and dirt getting in

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Werner Van Loock

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I used pieces of rubber fuel hose round the brake pipe and secured it with cable ties

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I opted to weld some little metal tags onto my axle... Then simply drilled them and fitted stainless P clips....

Much better than cableties... :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

blakep82

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werner Van Loock
I used pieces of rubber fuel hose round the brake pipe and secured it with cable ties

just cable tied round the whole axle? hmm would be easy enough. how close together does it have to be secured again?

blakep82

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I opted to weld some little metal tags onto my axle... Then simply drilled them and fitted stainless P clips....

Much better than cableties... :p

even better. I'm trying to keep the axle as clean and smooth as possible (its going to be very much visible) but a good one to bear in mind

Humbug

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

just cable tied round the whole axle? hmm would be easy enough. how close together does it have to be secured again?

I used pieces of rubber fuel hose round the brake pipe and secured it with honking great jubilee clips from B&Q - 2 each side did it

chris_smith

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
i just did mine this week and simply tacked some 5mm bolts to the axle then used some rubber P' clips

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

britishtrident

posted on 13/12/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Don't drill the axle !

Also cable ties are generally not acceptable for the SVA man.

As you will need to protect the brake pipe from chaffing slip suitable lengths of plastic screen washer tubing over the brake pipe before you flair it.

To secure the pipes to the axle tubes either weld on new steel tags or use Jubilee clips round the axle -- two each side.

To secure the pipes at the centre use a couple metal strips on to the diff cover bolts -- pack up with a couple of washers as required to clear the cover edges.
To clip the brake pipe to the strip use proper pop in brake pipe clips --- cheaper much easier to use than P clips and look much neater and less amateurish. Rescued attachment clip.jpg
Rescued attachment clip.jpg

Werner Van Loock

posted on 13/12/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:

I used the same max distance as on the chassis, so that's 30cm i believe, someone will tell definitely.

And apparently if mr SVA doesn't like it, use jubilee clips instead, I'll make sure I have some ready

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 14/12/08 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
I drilled and tapped mine, still going strong after 3 years.

axle finally finished
axle finally finished

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

blakep82

posted on 14/12/08 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
think i'll go for the jubilee clip option first. then look to tidy it up later. the whole car's getting stripped back down and rebuilt properly, with all bits cleaned and painted after SVA anyway lol

cheers guys

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.