Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: L/hand driveshaft won't go in ?? SORTED!
stevegough

posted on 10/7/09 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
L/hand driveshaft won't go in ?? SORTED!

I have a sierra diff with the 'push - in' type of driveshafts - the offside shaft slides into position perfectly however, the nearside shaft (which is the shorter one) goes in and the tips of the splines engage as the diff can be turned by hand, but then it 'clonks' and won't go in any further.

I have tried the offside driveshaft in the nearside socket - this sticks - 'clonks' - at the same point, but on jiggling it a little, it then goes in fully - a further 18mm.

Spent about two hours messing and jiggling with them up to now - run out of ideas....

I haven't filled the diff with oil yet, but it has got some in it as some dripped out when the car was on its side. - Maybe filling it will help?

There are pics of both the driveshafts and the diff in my photo archive.

I will be grateful for any advice or ideas / things to try.

[Edited on 13/7/09 by stevegough]

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

MikeRJ

posted on 10/7/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure the circlip is not damaged or bent and is centralised in it's groove. A dab of grease can help hold in in place during fitting.
stevegough

posted on 10/7/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, Mike but these dont have a circlip or a groove for one. The shafts are bolted in place at the outboard end.

See enlarged photo - the grooves at the outer end of the splines can't be for a circlip as one wouldn't work at that point ?

[Edited on 10/7/09 by stevegough] Rescued attachment driveshaft splines.jpg
Rescued attachment driveshaft splines.jpg

Luego Locost C20XE.

MikeRJ

posted on 10/7/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the Sierra diff had the circlips inside the diff rather than on the shaft, but might be wrong...
Litemoth

posted on 10/7/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Having been up to my armpits in the flange and push in type diffs lately, maybe i can offer an insight here....

The push in types don't have retaining clips (the flanged Lobro ones have a copper faced circlip thrust washer that retains them.

Both pass through a guide and the splined portion of the shaft engages with the pinions (see diagram). Due to there being a lot of float (this is designed) in the pinions (thus the 'clonk' ), they can wander out of alignment with the end of the shaft.
Correcting this is easy with the diff casing open but trickier doing it blind.

Try turning the prop and repeat whilst hilding still the shaft that you can enter, causing the cage to rotate. Keep agitating while someone repeatedly offers the shaft into the splined socket. The hope is that gravity will pull the pinion into line as you rotate.

Differential
Differential

[Edited on 10/7/09 by Litemoth]

stevegough

posted on 10/7/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Litemoth, I think you have hit the nail on the head - you have put into words what I thought was the most likely answer. Unfortunately, I have actually been trying to do almost exactly what you have suggested for about 1/2 an hour - without sucess, but with not being quite sure what I was doing - there is, indeed some 'float' to the splined collars in the diff - the right one more than the left - the left one seems to stick almost as if it is dry - what do you think about me filling it with oil - might that help?

The only thing that makes me wonder is that the offside driveshaft will engage within a couple of seconds in the LHS - I have tried chamfering the tips of the splines slightly, but still no good.

Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book of black arts and take the backplate off?

Luego Locost C20XE.

Gary 7

posted on 10/7/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
The one driveshaft spline in your photo looks to have some surface rust on,give the spline a clean up may be binding going into the diff.
Litemoth

posted on 10/7/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had a feeling you were going to say that. How about some KY jelly?

Seriously though, you should be able to shine a torch down the hole and align the pinion by 'gluing' it with some grease and a wiggle with a screwdriver - at least enough to start the spline.

Is there any damage/foregn body in there? Was there a shaft in there before or did you buy it as is?

I'd say that a firm (but not hard) tap on the opposite end of the shaft (there are springs installed to thwart your efferts of course) should see that spine go in, if it does not then i think the back plate has to come off.

Filling with EP80/90 will be a waste at this stage but by all means lubricate/clean the splines and pinion up the shaft hole.

I doubt it's it but count and compare the splines on the two shaft ends......? I believe there are one or two variants with a spline extra. Try the other shaft in the hole?

Gary 7

posted on 10/7/09 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
If the one driveshaft fits both sides then i cant see it being the diff must be the shaft, damaged spline or surface rust
stevegough

posted on 11/7/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of points-

1 - I have cleaned the splines and the shoulders up meticulously since the above photo was taken - they are now almost pristine! - mainly 'cos I thought the same as you Gary - the surface rust might be stopping it going in!

2 - I have counted the splines - both shafts have 23 and are, to the limit of my 50 - year old eyes identical.

I like the idea of sticky grease - especially if I use the right hand shaft to 'align' the grease - coated pinion first.

If I remove the backplate - what is likely to spring out or fall out etc? Are the gaskets readily available? (I have been able to remove the filler / level plug - another thread mentioned they are almost impossible to undo!).
What I am asking is how easy is it? - will it help? and is it easy enough to refit?

Regards, Steve.

Luego Locost C20XE.

Liam

posted on 11/7/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing will fall out except for oil. There's no gasket, so just clean up the surfaces and use some instant gasket on reassembly.

Personally, I'd try just a little more persuasion - of the block of wood and hammer kind. Stop being so gentle with it - it's a big hunk of metal

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevegough

posted on 11/7/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Nothing will fall out except for oil. There's no gasket, so just clean up the surfaces and use some instant gasket on reassembly.

Personally, I'd try just a little more persuasion - of the block of wood and hammer kind. Stop being so gentle with it - it's a big hunk of metal

Liam

Perhaps I could borrow the angry guy in your avatar? - Any way - who mentioned I was being 'gentle' ??

Luego Locost C20XE.

Litemoth

posted on 12/7/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
It's worth popping the back cover off and having a look to see if there's any nasties going on.

Don't go down the route of mullering it with ever bigger hammers - it will lead to tears. Pragmatism is the key here methinks.

Ah yes, the cover bolts........

stevegough

posted on 13/7/09 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice and help, guys - now got it in - must have been the K-Y jelly!!

Seriously, used the gumming it up with grease, then a few taps on the rubber boot - covered edge of the joint with a mallet, and in it went!!

(Then I had to take it out again as I had forgotten the brake backplate !!)

Cheers, Steve.....now...on with the build!

Luego Locost C20XE.

Litemoth

posted on 13/7/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
OH !....... YES!........... YEs,......... Ahhhhh

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.