Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Will this pass IVA please?
JC

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Will this pass IVA please?

Bought some handbrake cables at Newark - only £1 so worth a punt! The balance bar on my handbrake lever is meant for a slightly different nipple. however, by enlarging the hole, I can make it fit. It is as secure as the original method, just wondering whether anyone had tried this before and passed/failed the dreaded test!!!
cable
cable

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
impossible to tell from that picture angle i'd say
JC

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
What angle would be needed please?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
If I understand correctly, you've drilled the hole on the right out a bit and somehow trapped the cable ferrule in that larger hole.

I would give you a 40% chance of passing based on what I can see. My reasons are that drilling out the hole will make it weaker around the edges and more likely to allow the ferrule to become loose.

What I would do is assemble it and then pull up on the handbrake with all my strength and see if it holds. It would need to hold and not twist or distort in any way for me to be happy with it, never mind IVA. Even then the IVA inspector might argue that you are not using the component as it is intended and may require proof in the form of an engineering evaluation that it can take the required strain plus safety margin.

Sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for. However, the fact that you are asking suggests that you're not completely happy with it either.

All in my humble opinion of course, as Paul above said, it's difficult to give a proper opinion without seeing it properly.

Craig.

Edit: Ah, now I can see the cutout at 3 o'clock for the cable to be inserted. Okay, now I'd give you only a 20% chance of getting it past IVA because I don't believe the remaining material is strong enough to hold the ferrule, especially since the ferrule doesn't fit properly and could dislodge from the rear part of the balance bar and apply all its force to the weaker, front part.

[Edited on 29/6/2010 by craig1410]

40inches

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
What angle would be needed please?
A side view, can't really see how the nipple is held in place

JC

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Craig, thanks for that, I would rather have honest opinions than 'what I want to hear'!
Will welcome anyone elses thoughts as well.

craig1410

posted on 29/6/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
No worries, part of why this forum is here is to save us from ourselves in moments of weakness...

Did you see my edit in my last post?

What I'd consider doing is making a mould out of a house brick by drilling a hole the required diameter to match the hole in the balance bar. Then cut a slot to allow you to place your existing ferrule into the larger hole and use molten lead or ally to reconstruct the proper sized ferrule around the existing one.

As long as the ferrule fits snugly (not tight) then it will be supported by both the stronger rear part of the balance bar and the weaker front part with the little nick out of it at the 3 o-clock position as noted earlier. This should be okay.

JC

posted on 29/6/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Craig, like it! Now hunting for all those old lead strips from the tropical fish tank plants!!

40inches - will take a photo tomorrow and post it.

Thanks all!

ashg

posted on 30/6/10 at 05:14 AM Reply With Quote
i would fail that. its clearly a bodge on a critical breaking part.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.