Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Curious scam, I wonder if this has ever happened
Ninehigh

posted on 2/12/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Curious scam, I wonder if this has ever happened

CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT

I bought a bunch of stuff, over £150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of £40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it. She said I'd have to take the £40 because she couldn't delete it. I told Her to call a supervisor. Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it.. I said NO! Taking the £40 would be a cash advance against my Credit card & I wasn't paying interest on a cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order. So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & re-scan everything! The second time I looked at the electronic pad before I signed & a cash-back of £20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it. The total came out right. The cashier agreed that the Electronic Pad must be defective.

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad was defective because she NEVER offered me the £40 at the beginning. Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My co worker went to Milford , Sainsburys last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt. She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her. My co worker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for £20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

My co-worker called Sainsburys who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her this.. This is a new scam going on. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in the queue..

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!
This is NOT limited to Sainsburys; they are one of the largest retailers so they have the most incidents.

I am adding to this. My husband and I were in Sainsburys and paying with credit card when my husband went to sign the credit card signer he just happen to notice there was a £20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it. We really didn't think anything of it until we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????

To make matters worse ...THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

BEFORE LEAVING THE CHECK-OUT........CHECK YOUR RECEIPT!!!!!

THIS COULD HAPPEN ANYWHERE. CHECK YOUR RECEIPT BEFORE LEAVING THE STAND. I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO JUST THAT. NOW I'LL START!
PASS THIS ON TO YOUR FRIENDS, KIDS, LOVED ONES.

scootz

posted on 2/12/10 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Think something similar was posted up the other day.

It's Evolution Baby!

TimEllershaw

posted on 2/12/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
A sensible piece of advise I guess,

but that particular email has been flagged as a hoax for many years now.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 2/12/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
www.snopes.com is great for all these sorts of things you get on email.

The summary is here
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp

You'll note its all American. In the UK i think its easier for this to be true - so i'll probably check my recipts a little better in future.

iank

posted on 2/12/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
As said it's a hoax. See variant 3
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

locogeoff

posted on 5/12/10 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
This hasn't come from the UK market. When you enter your PIN it is mandatory that amount and transaction type are displayed to the user. So you would see PWCB (Purchase With Cash Back) rather than SALE on the pinpad before you entered your PIN.

Hoax or not, it gives good advice, read what the pinpad is telling you and check your receipts when purchasing anything.

Regards

Geoff

Liam

posted on 5/12/10 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see a naughty cashier getting away with this very long over here as you see the amount before you enter your pin and are also asked to sign/initial the cashback when you receive it. Still - always worth checking your receipts.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
quattromike

posted on 5/1/11 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
A few years back I stopped for fuel on London road in Glasgow and after filling up and grabbing a can of red cow for the 3 hour run north I went to pay and wouldn't normally notice but did this time must of been before pin numbers were on the go coz i had to sign for it and the guy behind the counter had scanned in three packets of fags and a bottle of irn-bru before I got to there. It was just by chance I noticed and questioned him he got a bit flustered. Needless to say I wasna happy , but was after I paid for fuel and left noticed I had my can of juice and he never charged me the second time so not all bad. Made me check my receipts for a bit.

"At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.