Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to remove sierra tripode metal covers
MikeR

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
How to remove sierra tripode metal covers

Firstly, before you do this go to ford and buy some replacement metal outer sleves.

Mads has recently posted this,
"Ford Parts UK - 01722 424224 £11.91 + Vat each

Don't know part number but you will need some measurements [not sure what though] to determine which ones you need. . The gaitors are attached to the metal sleeve btw. "

I got mine from Ford in Nuneaton after quoting the registration number for a car in about 2007 (i take a long time to do things).

Now if you can't get any outer sleves, this thread is for you - after managing to cut a grove in one of my tripodes due to using an angle grinder to cut off the outer metal sleve instead of a hack saw I wanted to find a different way to remove the others. Whilst doing this, i realised i could reuse the metal sleves.
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/3/post.php?action=newthread&fid=3
So, here's some pictures as i prised them off.

Firstly clean up around the bit pointed to by the screwdriver. You don't want to be prising muck into the tripode joint.
Description
Description

Put a flat bladed screwdriver underneeth the lip and twist / lever. The lip should start to move.
Description
Description

Not a great picture, but you can see a little progress
Description
Description

Now learning from my experience, id not start at one point and work my way around as I did. I'd leave four little sections untouched. This will hold the can in place till your ready to remove it. It will then be easier to remove because ...... when you end up with 2cm left, the whole thing shifts and its really hard to prise that section. I'd leave the four points to be no more than 5mm in length. (as i didn't do this, i've no pictures).

After a while it will look like this,
Description
Description

Now don't forget to release the rubber boot. I did first time, its probably easier to do this before you start prising the lip.
Description
Description

The problem now is getting the can off. If you can get all the can lip prised up then it will, with a tug, come off. On the second one i did i couldn't do this (and hence the hint / suggestion about leaving 4 of 5mm sections to come back to). As I couldn't get the second one off, i tapped the top lip with the screwdriver. Be careful as this is the lip the rubber boot attaches to so spread the taps around.

from this,
Description
Description

tappety tap to this,
Description
Description

Hope this helps someone. Future hints and tips will include how to make a seat 3 times and still not be happy & making steering column mountings for the umpteenth time because you changed your mind

MikeR

posted on 29/3/11 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Now Mads - if you mess this up when you do yours, you owe me a pint
mads

posted on 30/3/11 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
haha! cheers for the guide though if I can get the metal sleeves then mine are being cut off!!

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

MikeR

posted on 30/3/11 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just be careful that you don't cut into the tripode ...... the metal sleve doesn't have any space between itself and the tripode.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.