Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ford Focus MK 2 Engine and loom questions..
villagehoppa

posted on 14/7/15 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Ford Focus MK 2 Engine and loom questions..

Hi All,

Fairly new to this and trying to understand about electrics so any help would be most appreciated...

I've a got a Mk2 Ford Focus (2.0) that I am planning on using as a donor for my next project, I'm just trying to understand what is involved electrics wise with regards to the loom. Does anyone know how the loom/electrics work on a Mk2? I've heard that on most other looms you can cut out the bit that you do not need and use the ecu that is just for the engine, however, I have been told that in new looms everything is dependant on everything else, do anyone know if this is the case with this loom? Sorry if I'm sounding a bit 'general'!!!

I basically want to use engine/gearbox and have lamps/signals etc from other manufacturers (they look better!!) and get a custom loom made for my new vehicle. Does anyone see any potential problems with such an installation? I'm hoping from what I have read that the Ford Focus MK2 has a separate ECU for the engine which will hopefully make it easier!!! Although what do I know, complete electric novice!!! Thank you all in advance...

big_wasa

posted on 14/7/15 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
So that's the same 2.0 Duratec as the mondeo giving 145ps in standard trim. So 2004>. I would love to say use the oem ecu but every one else will tell you not to bother and it's going to require some ability.

If you happen to live near Spalding Lincs and are serious sbout using the oem ecu drop me a u2u.

RichN

posted on 14/7/15 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you can use the loom and ecu from the Focus it will save you money and will/should not have any issues with IVA emissions etc.... The PATS immobiliser will be the tricky part but as long as you have the Ford key and the PATS transmitter all will be well.

I've done it with a Zetec-SE without any issues and others have done it with the Zetec/Duratec.

villagehoppa

posted on 15/7/15 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, fantastic, thanks for that, basically if I use as much as the loom as possible and with the right connectors even a different OEM's lights should work, in theory?! I'll know when I've got it together anyway!! So If I was after something with a bit 'more' performance I should go with an aftermarket ECU that is mapped to my cars new weight/desired performance? Thanks all, much appreciated..
big_wasa

posted on 15/7/15 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
My hobby is running engines out side the donor on the oem ecu. A bit like the steam engine I had as a kid.

upto >2004 Ford used the eec-v. This ecu has a posability of 104 electrical connections. This is a very complex ecu with twice the funtions of somthing like an omex 600 ect. But is much more stand alone than other platforms as the abs, air bags and body control have there own ecu's.

For example the st170 has full vvt on the inlet cam. It has a dual stage inlet manifold controled by the Imrc. It has pre and post Cat O2 sensors. Returnless fuel delivery controled by the ecu with presure sensors and a pump driver modual. Full sequential injection with crank and cam phase sensors. Aswell as this the ecu controls bassic Ac function and has inputs for things like the clutch pedal and even the telemetrix system ie sat nav and radio.

The immobilizer is the easy bit. it can not be bypassed with out dealer level of software and hardware but it can be used out side of the donor.

After 2004> they changed system. the Duratec has less of the above functions but I will guarantee it has a higher level of intergration into the car.

The down side is it will only perform to the programed levell with some scope for learning. Pay off is the above ecu will pass iva and an mot and the above one cost £15.

Power costs money !

When you have done it post it up for all.

[Edited on 15/7/15 by big_wasa]

villagehoppa

posted on 17/7/15 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks big_wasa, man, you sure know you stuff, there are things you mentioned I don't even know what they are!! Think I will have to leave this part to the experts, you may be getting a call very soon.... The Mk 2 Focus was produced between 2004-10, so I will have to do a bit more research and get my project 'brief' down. Thank you again all, something tells me I'll be on here quite a bit!!! Bon weekends all...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.