Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ball joint - aluminum upright
aj

posted on 18/1/05 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
ball joint - aluminum upright

Does anyone know if a ball joint can be attached directly to aluminum?
I'm building a custom rear upright from billet aluminum.
Cast alloy uprights on production cars alway seem to have a taperd steel insert where the ball joint attaches. Is this necessary?

Thanks

Liam

posted on 19/1/05 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Well a ball joint will potentially wear an ally taper much quicker than a steel one, especially if it becomes the slightest bit loose. Bear in mind suspension parts on production cars are designed to be safe after 10+ years of poor maintenance on a heavy car.

I can't really see how an ally taper could wear unless the ball joint is loose and can impact or abrade the surface of the taper. Perhaps the problem is that the normal loading can locally yield and distort the soft material and allow this to happen. I would have thought an ally taper would be perfectly fine if it's looked after properly and the joint is kept tight, especially on a light, well maintained car. But i'm not reeeeally qualified to say.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 19/1/05 at 04:09 AM Reply With Quote
I've used tapered studs in aluminium. It worked fine, though I can't say difinitively how long it would last, as I changed the entire setup after a while.
It should work OK, as long as it's done sensibly.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 19/1/05 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
The taper won't wear unless it loose however aluminium alloys have no definite yeild pont so you will get stress relaxation (aka low temperature creep) that wil slacken the hold of the taper --- in simple terms the hole will get slightly bigger long period of over time.

However ---
On the rear If its for road use you shouldn't need to ues a ball joint simple metalastic or polly bushes are all you need --- for track use use rose joints.

aj

posted on 19/1/05 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
So I guess it would work but no long term guarantee.

britishtrident you said 'for track use use rose joints' This brings up another question ...
Is there any way to safely use a rose joint on the top rear upright connection?i.e. rear upper outer a-arm.
It seems like the twisting force of braking would stress a rose joint. I know this has probably been discused before but I can't seem to find an exact answer.

great forum by the way

Rorty

posted on 19/1/05 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aj
So I guess it would work but no long term guarantee.

britishtrident you said 'for track use use rose joints' This brings up another question ...
Is there any way to safely use a rose joint on the top rear upright connection?i.e. rear upper outer a-arm.
It seems like the twisting force of braking would stress a rose joint. I know this has probably been discused before but I can't seem to find an exact answer.

great forum by the way

Rose joints are frequently used for wishbone to upright connections. You could bolt through the aluminium like in the pic below, or if you're bolting into aluminium, then insert a Helicoil first Rescued attachment cast_upright2.jpg
Rescued attachment cast_upright2.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

Rorty

posted on 19/1/05 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Another bolt through example. Rescued attachment cast_upright3.jpg
Rescued attachment cast_upright3.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

aj

posted on 19/1/05 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
What's a Helicoil???

Also, my rear suspension has one coilover shock mounted to a pivot bar, which passes through the bottom of the upright and the lower a-arm. The shock is about 5 inches from the hub/wheel centerline(toward the rear). I don't know anything about suspension forces but it seems like, with the shock this far away, that the upright is going to want to twist toward the rear. If this is true most of that force is going to be on the upper upright connection. Does this make any sense?

Rorty

posted on 19/1/05 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aj
What's a Helicoil???

Also, my rear suspension has one coilover shock mounted to a pivot bar, which passes through the bottom of the upright and the lower a-arm. The shock is about 5 inches from the hub/wheel centerline(toward the rear). I don't know anything about suspension forces but it seems like, with the shock this far away, that the upright is going to want to twist toward the rear. If this is true most of that force is going to be on the upper upright connection. Does this make any sense?

Helicoils are thread inserts for repairing damaged female threads or for making strong threads in soft materials.
Helicoil how to.
It sounds like your lower shock mount is in single shear and quite a distance from any support. If so, it's not ideal, but withought seeing it, it's difficult to comment precisely.

Cheers, Rorty.

Liam

posted on 20/1/05 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Helicoils are great. Essentially a steel (stainless i think) coil that you wind into a thead, which then itself becomes the thread for your bolt. If that makes sense!

For example, you drill and tap a hole bigger than you need for your bolt, wind the helicoil in, then put your bolt in. It means you can have a steel thread in your ally part and so reduce significantly the chances of stripping or otherwise damaging that thread. We use them at work in any ally part that needs a thread.

You can also use them to repair stripped internal threads since you drill out your stripped thread larger than it was, tap it, then insert the helicoil. Ta daa.

At work we just have loads of them in boxes, but I think the home user can buy kits of them which will include the correct drill and tap, as well as a load of helicoils. They really do kick arse, especially when you think you've wrecked a threded ally part!

Liam

Liam

posted on 20/1/05 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
Er - like rorty said, whilst I was writing!!

[Edited on 20/1/05 by Liam]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.