Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Left handed tap & rod end questions
ChrisW

posted on 24/1/05 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Left handed tap & rod end questions

Is there such a thing as a left handed tap (the thing for cutting threads in tube, not the type for the sink) or am I missing some technique for using them backwards? All the sets I've seen for sale don't state whether they are right or left hand thread.

Cheers, Chris

[Edited on 1/25/2005 by ChrisW]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 24/1/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
There is such a thing as a left hand tap, usually at great expense. What size are you after as I have a few.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 24/1/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yes left handed taps exist.

See here for some:

http://www.uni-thread.com/tdmetric.html

Most sets you buy are standard right hand thread taps. Left handed ones tend to be specials.

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

theconrodkid

posted on 24/1/05 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
what you want to tap,friend runs an engineering shop,could probly run it up on lathe

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

David Jenkins

posted on 24/1/05 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
You could try Tracy Tools (do a Google) - they stock a huge range of taps and dies in all sorts of types and sizes. Their standard prices are for carbon steel taps, then +100% if you want HSS, and/or +100% for left-handed (if available).
One hint - don't use a credit card... they don't like the surcharges from the card companies, so charge a high premium to buyers. Send a cheque with your order and you'll get the tools return of post about 2 days later. A really good company to deal with.
David

ChrisW

posted on 24/1/05 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have a measure up and see what I need. It's for fitting rod end bearings into tube (kind of like Locost trailing arms) so I'm guessing M10 or M12 sort of size threads.

Chris

marc n

posted on 24/1/05 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
we use 1/2 unf r h and left hand threads on our wishbones for adjustment,
l / h taps tend to be really expensive the last one i bought was £64 i think
could make you some bosses up if that helps
going to 1/2 inch unf is easy as you only have to drill the wishbone bracket holes out .5mm

regards

marc

[Edited on 24/1/05 by marc n]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ChrisW

posted on 24/1/05 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Right guys, been looking at the rod ends in Demon Tweeks (although I guess there are better places to get them from).

For those that hadn't guessed, these are for replacement trailing arms for an XR2 track day car. They're just like Locost trailing arms, except there is only one each side (the suspension strut keeps the axle upright)

The bush that this is to replace has an ID of 10mm which I guess is the deciding factor in which bearing I choose. The only 10mm ID bearing listed is 14mm wide, whereas the bush is 48mm. Do I just pack it out with washers or do I need a proper spacer?

Do I need to ensure the bearing stays at 90 degrees to the mount or will it hold it's own position?

Is 21kN 'radial static load' enough? Car weighs about 800kg

Finally, has anyone got an M10x1.5 left hand tap they would lend me?

Sorry for all the questions. First time I've used anything as complicated as this!

Cheers, Chris

Mix

posted on 25/1/05 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Nick Skidmore, (who posts on here) supplied me with a LH M12 tap to suit the rose joints I purchased from him. The tap was about £12 if I remember correctly and of excellent quality.

Mick

ned

posted on 25/1/05 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Nick also frequents the racecar forum i believe..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

ChrisW

posted on 25/1/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the recommendation guys, I'll look him up. Anyone comment on my other points?

Ta, Chris

Rorty

posted on 26/1/05 at 05:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Right guys, been looking at the rod ends in Demon Tweeks (although I guess there are better places to get them from).

For those that hadn't guessed, these are for replacement trailing arms for an XR2 track day car. They're just like Locost trailing arms, except there is only one each side (the suspension strut keeps the axle upright)

The bush that this is to replace has an ID of 10mm which I guess is the deciding factor in which bearing I choose. The only 10mm ID bearing listed is 14mm wide, whereas the bush is 48mm. Do I just pack it out with washers or do I need a proper spacer?

Do I need to ensure the bearing stays at 90 degrees to the mount or will it hold it's own position?

Is 21kN 'radial static load' enough? Car weighs about 800kg

Finally, has anyone got an M10x1.5 left hand tap they would lend me?

Sorry for all the questions. First time I've used anything as complicated as this!

Cheers, Chris

Hold on there Chris! You may be better off with a 12mm (or 1/2" rodend (it's impossible to say if the rod end is up to the task just from the figures you quoted...many more factors involved), but a 10mm rod end for a trailing arm (radius rod?) sounds somewhat on the light side.
Are you sure the bush you're replacing is actually 10mm and not 3/8"? What are the markings, if any, on the bolt?
Either way, if you choose a 12mm or 1/2" rod end, you can then place a proper side spacer (some people call them "top hats" either side of the rod end.
They are designed to protrude about half way inside the rod end so they don't dislodge and they will reduce the ID to 10mm or (3/8".
A pair of side spacers plus the width of the 12mm rod end (16mm) won't make up the 48mm that you're after, but you could pack the rest out with washers. If it were me, I'd turn up some side spacers specifically for the job so you're not juggling a handful of washers when you assemble/dismantle the thing.
At least going up a size you would have a larger rod end with a higher yield. Rescued attachment Rorty_rodend_spacer.jpg
Rescued attachment Rorty_rodend_spacer.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

indykid

posted on 26/1/05 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
just for reference, i have an M24 l/h thread tap, just incase anyone needed one.

it came from the harrogate show, in a 8 taps for a fiver deal. i couldn't find 8 i wanted so i threw in the grand daddy. its a good show piece.

it might help someone, maybe
tom

flak monkey

posted on 26/1/05 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
just for reference, i have an M24 l/h thread tap, just incase anyone needed one.

it came from the harrogate show, in a 8 taps for a fiver deal. i couldn't find 8 i wanted so i threw in the grand daddy. its a good show piece.

it might help someone, maybe
tom

Yeah, you just need the mother of all tap wrenches and a 6ft scaffold pole to use it...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.