Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sylva Riot - will this drive system work?
dexion7

posted on 9/2/21 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi padrc,

thanks for the pictures, they are very helpful, and also for the explanation of the rear wishbone link.

It would be helpful if you could give me a dimension please?

In the picture below it shows the outside dimension of my chassis at the point that the vertical chassis member you have supporting the upper wishbone bush would be welded to the upper longitudinal rail.

If I hold a piece of square section steel tube against my chassis to simulate such a part, the outer edge of the tube hits the bush and that's not even allowing for the bracket to support the bush. in other words it looks like your chassis is about 30-40mm narrower at this point. in other words if a straight line is drawn between the upper and lower longitudinal chassis members the bush intersect it.

could you tell me if that's correct?

Description
Description

padrc66

posted on 10/2/21 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
you're absolutely right, in fact it looks like it's about 90mm narrower! interesting, i guess the whole rear end must have been built narrower by Sylva to accommodate moving the rear of the chassis back a bit and i presume my springs/dampers must be further in at the top and sat at a shallower angle.

the car was ordered in 2010 (not by me, i bought it as an unstarted kit) and the invoice just says "specially adapted chassis" so not much info there.

sorry, i guess your task just got a bit more complicated! perhaps you could either 'dogleg' the existing diagonal member or a new vertical member to allow more space for the driveshaft? a very interesting project either way and i'm intrigued by the idea of a longitudinal engine and short prop shaft.

dexion7

posted on 10/2/21 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
yes - its starting to make sense now!

I also realise now also that your rear upper wishbone mount is outside of the chassis whereas in mine there is a long pin supporting both upper wishbone mounts which actually goes through the vertical rear member.

also, my rear upper member is also 918mm and the inside dimension between the two transverse horizontal members 235mm, I'd be interested to check what yours are?

if i go the longitudinal way and I'm happy with a single donut there's actually no need to change the wishbone mounts as there's clearance between the diagonal and the half shaft but it means the engine is at a funny angle which will require draining oil from the head at the rear (it would normally drain via the chain end) and probably feed an oil jet at the chain from the scavenge pump output.

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 10/2/21 by dexion7]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.