Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 20Xe into mk indy
rgv_stu

posted on 28/10/02 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
20Xe into mk indy

whats the best way to fit a vauxhall 2.0 16v lump into a mk indy and what bits do i need?

gearbox? type 9 with modified bell housing or manta box? manta box would be cheaper option i reckon
whats the difference in output shaft connection ? or do i just get the UJ and weld it on to a sierra prop?

does the sump need to be shortened or not?

ideally i could do with LSD as planning in the future for throttle bodies- which sierras came with lsd? is it only xr4i's? if so i believe i have to use larger shafts and the disc rear hubs? can the cv joints not be swapped so i can use the drum setup ?

anyone got any pics of 16v in a mk indy or locost chassis ??

Stu16v

posted on 28/10/02 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
First, the gearbox. You can use the type 9, and purchase a modified bellhousing. or get the Getrag (Manta) gearbox, I assume the latter will go in an Indy chassis, but dont know for sure. IMHO the type 9 is the best route (but perhaps not the cheapest) as there is more upgrades available for the Ford box.
The prop will need to be shortened/modified whichever route you take.
The sump will probably need to be modified , as the XE engine is quite tall. Also, it is designed for transverse installation, and the standard sump may allow oil surge. Again, there is a couple of options. Rather than trying to modify the standard Ally sump, you could get a sump off an 8v engine, which is steel, and chop accordingly. Another option is getting a Manta sump, which is alloy, but has 'wings' either side to carry extra oil. Lastly, you can purchase specially designed sumps off SBD, W*******d etc which are a lot shallower.
LSDs were fitted to the following Ford Sierras.....
4x4, all Cozzy variants, 2000E, and were available as an option on most other variants (although its rare, always worth a look at you local scrappy). The Granada also has the same type diff fitted, and LSDs can be found in certain models of these too (Cozzy, 4x4, 2.9 etc) Just to complicate things a bit more, there are two sizes of diff, the 7 inch and 7.5 inch. They can also be fitted with slightly different size output flanges/CV joints too. Best one to find is the 7 inch (measured across the top mounting holes)as they are lighter and will cope with silly amounts of power.
P.s, the driveshafts are not interchangable between drum and disc types, which as you suspect, go hand in hand with the type of diff.
HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

rgv_stu

posted on 29/10/02 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
so all the 4x4 sierras had lsd?
MK9R

posted on 29/10/02 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
There are 2 types of LSD from the fords, ones which use plates and ones which are viscous. I was told the plated ones are best (easier to set up/maintain) which i think were only in Cosi's.But I have bought a viscous one from a XR4X4 as it was cheaper.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 29/10/02 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
But yes, all 4x4's had LSDs.

Dont just build it.....make it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.