New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra steering column
Dick Axtell

posted on 23/2/03 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra steering column

Hi All,
Anyone removed a Sierra steering column? If so, please advise -

1) Do I need to remove any other important parts (e.g. lower shaft),
2) Should I also extract the appropriate wiring harness connectors?
3) Any likely buggeration factors to wach out for?

TIA

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

theconrodkid

posted on 23/2/03 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
you will need to lengthen the shaft so take it,if you are using standard switches whitch makes life easier take the whole loom and chop it down as nec

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

RoadkillUK

posted on 23/2/03 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
There's a little plastic and metal thing that goes through the bulkhead, get both parts of that, also the bolts for the top of the steering column if you can.

Don't forget to check that it hasn't been colapsed, there's a photo of the column in my Photo Archive and a pic of a colapsed on in ChrisW's Photo Archive

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dick Axtell

posted on 25/2/03 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sound advice - thanks.

Got 2hnd Sierra Haynes manual at the weekend. Reading thru + your comments pinpoints the awkward bits.

[Edited on 25/2/03 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

ChrisW

posted on 25/2/03 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
a photo of the column in my Photo Archive and a pic of a colapsed on in ChrisW's Photo Archive

I think we decided my column was ok in the end didn't we...? Must admit tho - it still looks buggered to me. Hoping it'll come good when I fit it!

Chris

[Edited on 25/2/03 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/2/03 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
get the grommet in the bulkhead as well as the metal and plastic bits on the shaft.

get all the linkage too - you can mod that.

the connectors are a good idea too if you ever want to take the thing off the car again without cutting wires.....

atb

steve

bob

posted on 25/2/03 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
quote:
a photo of the column in my Photo Archive and a pic of a colapsed on in ChrisW's Photo Archive

I think we decided my column was ok in the end didn't we...? Must admit tho - it still looks buggered to me. Hoping it'll come good when I fit it!

Chris

[Edited on 25/2/03 by ChrisW]

I think we did chris as mine looks the same as yours,the adjustable columns are very different in appearance though.

I checked mine against a pic in a very late haynes manual and it looks the same

Stu16v

posted on 25/2/03 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Throw away the grommet and the plastic bit, they nearly always have loads of play in them. Get a new one from Ford or a motor factors (about four quid). Ask for a bottom steering column bush kit.
False economy IMO......

Dont just build it.....make it!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/2/03 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v
Throw away the grommet and the plastic bit, they nearly always have loads of play in them. Get a new one from Ford or a motor factors (about four quid). Ask for a bottom steering column bush kit.
False economy IMO......

wasnt a problem on mine .......owner must have done 70,000 miles in a straight line!

atb

steve

RoadkillUK

posted on 26/2/03 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry Chris, I though yours was shafted mate (still looks iffy to me) but it's been said that the adjustable ones are different and I can't say I've seen one in the flesh.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

Jon Bradbury

posted on 27/2/03 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you take a look in the Haynes manual there is a drawing of the collapsible Sierra column. It does look like that in the drawing and mine does too. When I dismantled my donor there was no evidence of a crash in the front panels / chassis, and the ignition key matched the boot / door locks. I think this is reasonably conclusive evidence that this is how an adjustable sierra column is from the factory and that or my car at least, it had not been replaced.

Can I ask you, are you hoping to keep the adjustability of the column or are you going to do away with it? Bear in mind that, since there is no collapsible bit per se, it must be relying on the adjustor mechanism slipping when a crash impact is applied to either end of the shaft. The implication here is that in removing the adjusting mechanism, you're removing also the ability to collapse (and therefore looking at an SVA fail). However this is only a guess - I'm not really sure how it is supposed to work in practice.

All this worries me too because I have the adjustable column. I was hoping to fit it to my Robin Hood DOHC but it looks like there won't be enough space for it to adjust up/down (although fore / aft adjustment remains a possibility).

FWIW Robin Hood recommend that the adjustable column is ditched and I source a normal one from the scrappie's.

James

posted on 27/2/03 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Bradbury

FWIW Robin Hood recommend that the adjustable column is ditched and I source a normal one from the scrappie's.

Did they say why? Was beginning to think it might be a funky gadget!

Jon Bradbury

posted on 27/2/03 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
i think this picture explains why...

There's no friggin' space, mate! As you may be able to see, the up/down adjustment cannot be used effectively in the RH chassis because the column passes under one rail and above the other, and at that angle it cannot move up / down, plus there is a clearance problem in any case with the bit that looks like it has been pre-collapsed. That said, fore / aft might work but is there any real point? Might as well stick to the smaller non adjustable jobbie.

BTW, that lamentable excuse for a steering bracket is a Robin Hood design.

Cheers

JonB Rescued attachment Cnv0012.jpg
Rescued attachment Cnv0012.jpg

Jon Bradbury

posted on 27/2/03 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, sorry you cannot make it out very well, take a look at this: Rescued attachment Cnv0013.jpg
Rescued attachment Cnv0013.jpg

Hornet

posted on 10/10/03 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Chris.... bob

I can confirm, your column is in prime condition. I have just compared to a brand spanking new one. So you can relax.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.