Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CV Joints This Time With The Pic's (I Really Hope)
davepro

posted on 22/5/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
CV Joints This Time With The Pic's (I Really Hope)

CV Joints This Time With The Pic's (I Hope)

Hi Guys,

Lets try this question again and this time I will try to be clearer.

Below are teh picture of the original CV joint still attached to the Joint Cover (as described in the Haynes manual), next to it is teh new CV Joint that I have purchased. Also pictured is the relavent diagram from the manual which clearly shows that the Joint Cover (G) is seperate to the CV Joint (F).

OK heres the question. I can not see how to seperate teh two of them, is it just brute force with a hammer and cold chisel or have I got the wrong CV Joint?

Please help me. Rescued attachment CV Joints.GIF
Rescued attachment CV Joints.GIF

Dave Prouten

DIY Si

posted on 22/5/06 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
They should fall apart with a tap from a hammer. Mine did.
flak monkey

posted on 22/5/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, logical tapping with a hammer and punch will see them fall apart.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Liam

posted on 22/5/06 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yep they should eventualy fall apart. Since you are scrapping the old CV supposedly, you could take the bits out of the middle of it and drift the cover off from the inside with a piece of wood. Would stop you messing up the edge of the cover if it's really stiff and needs a lot of hammering.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 22/5/06 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
And oh yeah - when i bought new cv boots from my motor factors, they came with new covers already attached. If you get some like these you wont need to get the old cover off.

IRS 2
IRS 2

Liam

[Edited on 22/5/06 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 22/5/06 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, some gaiter kits come as just the gaiters and some as gaiter with metal bit too.

(annoyingly one of my full cv kits had a faultiliy crimped gaiter and I tried to recrimp it and mauled it beyond repair so I couldn't take it back, so i ordered a gaiter kit and it only had the rubber bit so I have one old metal bit!!!)

in answer to the question, sharp cold chisel and light taps will sort it out for you, they knock off the joint.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

davepro

posted on 23/5/06 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Thank You

Gee I'm just stupid. I did not realise that the CV Joint when inside the Joint Cover, a couple of taps (IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION) and off they came.

Thanks

Dave

Dave Prouten

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.