Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Putting A New Momo Steering Wheel On...
The Great Fandango

posted on 19/5/07 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Putting A New Momo Steering Wheel On...

... the only trouble is that my setup has been described as, er?... "agricultural"

Here's the story so far : -

- Spent £100 on a lovely leather Momo 'Jet' steering wheel
Steering 1
Steering 1

but its 6 bolts do not fit onto the Mountney short boss

- I took the Mountney short boss off the car which is held onto a triangular peice with three bolts. 'Great' I thought this is likely to be the normal 3 bolt competition setup I've seen on some quick release systems (eg. Racetech)

- Bought a £20 circular Momo short adapter/boss to hook up to the three bolts, but unfortunately the Momo holes are too closely spaced so don't match up (see third photob below)

- Spent an hour taking off the triangular peice which bolts to the main steering column shaft. It looks like it has been fabricated/altered.

See photos below:

Steering 2
Steering 2

Steering 3
Steering 3

[img][/img]
Above: In essense, all I need to do is get these two bits bolted together

I know that I will have to lathe/drill a hole in the middle of the Momo circular adapter plate to allow the steering columm shaft and nut to pass through but...

My questons are : -

1. Can anyone tell me what the part is that I took off the steering column shaft? It appears to have been cut to a triangular shape (first two photos) but I don't know its origins.

2. Any ideas which car it came from? (I was quite surprised to see it fits onto a hexagonal steering shaft, not a splined one.

3. Are the three holes in it likely to be custom drilled or standard for the original part?

Basically, I think I need to source another of these, cut it down to size to avoid fouling the paddle shifter, and then drill three suitable holes for the Momo boss.

Sorry for the long winded message, but I'm not very good at explaining things in short sentences.

It's SO frustrating having a gorgeous steering wheel sat indoors and not on the car... I keep playing with it and making 'broom broom' noises!

Any help/advice greatly appreciated

Kyle, Leeds

[Edited on 20/5/07 by The Great Fandango]

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Dies The Happiest

ReMan

posted on 19/5/07 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Suspect it has been made using the insides of an old steering wheel
MikeRJ

posted on 19/5/07 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Most (all?) modern Fords use the hexagonal drive on the end of the steering column. The Sierra used this system, and the Sierra column is a very popular fitment for a locost.
big_wasa

posted on 19/5/07 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Just buy a new boss.

Halfords had sierra ones on clearance a while back, Around £20 for a nice one. Your wheel will bolt directly on to it.

Bet you paid more for that adapter.

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 19/5/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I got one in Halfords in there clearance bit for £5.

mistergrumpy

posted on 19/5/07 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I got one from Halfords for £7

big_wasa

posted on 19/5/07 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Bugger mine was £20

Edit : Atleast it wasnt a cheap and nasty mountney

[Edited on 19/5/07 by big_wasa]

The Great Fandango

posted on 19/5/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder if any of you who answered have a paddle shift?

I hear your shouts and see your thinkin' but!...

If I go and buy a typical Halfords Sierra boss such as : -

Steering Boss
Steering Boss

then it will foul the paddle shift mechanism whilst also leaving my wheel some 5 inches from the shifters : -

Steering 4
Steering 4

In fact the only product I've seen which MIGHT do the job is something Demon Tweeks have for Caterhams:

Another £20 I don't want to spend...

[Edited on 19/5/07 by The Great Fandango]

The Great Fandango

posted on 21/5/07 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Any ideas before I head down the route of drilling and tapping the new Momo adapter (not an ideal solution as the location of the new holes coincides with a 3mm lip)

Did think about simply buying one of those Racetech quick release jobbies and welding directly to the column. Has anyone had any experience welding these things on?

chockymonster

posted on 21/5/07 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Fandango
Did think about simply buying one of those Racetech quick release jobbies and welding directly to the column. Has anyone had any experience welding these things on?

I have a quick release boss on my column, it's how I got my OMP wheel to fit with my paddleshift. It works nicely and is a great security device

I didn't do the welding because I can't weld and if I did it I'd probably end up having a wheel fall off on me

The only thing I haven't worked out is where to put the indicator switches now

[Edited on 21/5/07 by chockymonster]

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.