Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weight of wheels
C10CoryM

posted on 28/5/07 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Weight of wheels

Hi guys,
Wondering what weight the average rim/tire that goes onto a locost is.
I am running 15" rims and the average affordable weight seems to be around 15lbs a rim. My tires are 20lbs so a total wheel weight of 35lbs. How about you guys?

BTW http://www.wheelweights.net/ is a pretty good site.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rav

posted on 28/5/07 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I did a bit of searching to see how much difference there is in wheel & tyre weights a while ago. Probably the best site (wheels only) is this one:

http://www.wheelweights.net/

Also the weight database section on here is pretty good for 'seven' parts - wheels, tyres, uprights, brakes etc.
I can't get it to work at the moment maybe its my 'puta?

http://www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/technical.html

Mark

rav

posted on 28/5/07 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
sorry didn't notice the previous link to wheelweights. But its so good it deserves a second link anyway.
smart51

posted on 28/5/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have 195/50/15 on standard alloy wheels. They are 16 or 17kg each when blananced and inflated.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 29/5/07 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got 13" x 6" Compomotive ML 3 piece rims which weight about 4.5kgs IIRC, and with ACB10s on the whole lot weighed about 10kgs, but with Yoko 32s thats more like 12-13kgs per corner.

Shows you can save a good 15-20kgs of overall weight by going with decent light weight wheels/tyres though, and even more when compared to the bling-mobiles on 17's etc!

Mark, Fluke's weight calculator doesn't work for me either so I've emailed Graeme who runs Fluke to give him a nudge

C10CoryM

posted on 30/5/07 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,
Judging by the lack of responses so far Im going to guess few people know or care about the weight. I would have guessed you would really notice a heavy set of wheels on such a light platform. I cant believe how many wheels out there are 20lbs+.

The rims I want are 10lbs (4.5kg) but they are about 4 times what I want to pay. Funny how that works huh?

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bimbleuk

posted on 1/6/07 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I have 14"x6" Classic Superlite alloys with 185x60 R888 tyres and they were 15kgs per corner so not particularly light but not bad.

[Edited on 1/6/07 by bimbleuk]

DarrenW

posted on 1/6/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Here are mine.

ATS DTC - 12.3lbs according to that website. Certainly made the car feel more responsive. Rescued attachment ats_product_pic.jpg
Rescued attachment ats_product_pic.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.