Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GTS coilover
thepest

posted on 17/5/08 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
GTS coilover

Is anyone using the GTS type shocks? I am trying to order new springs with different rates but I am unsure of the internal diameter to use. I measured the thread of the coilover and is 44.5mm. If I use internal diameter springs of 1.9in (48.5mm) would it be ok on my type of shock?
Here is a photo of my coilover:

Gts Shock 2
Gts Shock 2

paulf

posted on 17/5/08 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yes they are 1.9 inch dampers.
Paul.

mr henderson

posted on 17/5/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
You will need to know the unfitted length as well, of course.

If that is a coilover off your car it looks like the suspension travel is quite limited. Are you thinking of going for a longer, softer spring?

[Edited on 17/5/08 by mr henderson]

thepest

posted on 17/5/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul, and one other thing please. I jacked the car up to have a look at the shock length when unloaded. The length between the (not sure how to describe it so attached a photo) is 8.5 inches. So does that mean I should be using 8 inch free length springs all around or should the lengths be different in the front and rear?

Coilover-edit
Coilover-edit

thepest

posted on 17/5/08 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Just came back from the garage Mr Henderson, so I missed your post. In fact I wanted to ask about what spring length to use... I also saw your post in my other thread, I have tried riding in a Dax Rush, which seems to be softer but then again 200kg heavier than me.
I took a 110Kg passenger once with me and the ride improved by ALOT, so thats why I was hoping to get a better result with using softer springs.

mr henderson

posted on 17/5/08 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thepest

I took a 110Kg passenger once with me and the ride improved by ALOT, so thats why I was hoping to get a better result with using softer springs.

Remember what someone (maybe me) was saying about the ration of sprung to unsprung weight? The higher the sprung weight, the better the ride. That's one of the reasons why Rolls Royce's are so heavy.

Colin Chapman was a big believer in soft springs/stiff shocks, and the Lotus cars from his era were rnowned at providing a great combinatin of ride and road holding.

Softer springs wil help, how much remains to be seen. Take your friend out with you more often, and eat more yourself, it all helps

thepest

posted on 17/5/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I can do all that. However if I reduce the unsprung weight it, will improve the ride quality as well or just the handling?
mr henderson

posted on 17/5/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thepest
Ok, I can do all that. However if I reduce the unsprung weight it, will improve the ride quality as well or just the handling?

Reducing the unsprung weight will only help the handling inasmuch as it will help to keep the wheels in contact with the road.

Consider the situation when a wheel goes over a bump. The lower the weight (mass to be precise) the less difficulty the springs will have in overcoming the desire of the wheel to continue in an upward direction.

What you really want from the suspension is to allow the wheels to go up and down as necessary to smooth out the bumps in the road, whilst the car itself stays where it is. The softer the springs, the easier it is for the suspension to do this.

The problem comes when you want to go round corners.

thepest

posted on 17/5/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, thats where anti-roll bars come in....

Thanks for the info, I'll keep a few sets of springs and experiment. It is a Lowcost after all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.