Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering stops! How to
want2race

posted on 17/9/08 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Steering stops! How to

So initially I had my wheel turning way more than I needed and I constantly hit the inside edge of my rims on the upp control arms.

I asked and a few people suggested welding an external arm to limit travel but I came up with a better idea partially thanks to Woodward Steering.

My first idea was to find the max point, Mark it, Drill a hole and insert a bolt through the steering rack that would hit the body of the steering rack and limit motion.. It would work but its not tweakable.

Woodward suggested I get the type of clamp that you use on a wheel barrow and install one of those on each side. Its a U shaped piece with a flat bar at the bottom and 2 nuts.

That would work but I thought about it more and decided a shaft collor would be ideal. So I went to grainger, ordered 2 and tried.. They rock! very solid and work as planned.

If you guys need help, ill gladly give you any info I know

tegwin

posted on 17/9/08 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
The problem I found with those shaft clamps was that the standard boot struggled to fit over them....

So, I got a piece of alloy tube....slit down the middle and clipped over the track rod arm....cost nothing and does the job, plus I can adjust the amount of stop by filing the tube shorter a bit....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

wicket

posted on 17/9/08 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Jubilee clips work fine.
dan__wright

posted on 17/9/08 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
any pics of them installed? ive taken all the pain off from edge of my front wheels

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Paul TigerB6

posted on 17/9/08 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
A poly bush each side and hacksaw saw Nigel's (Jabbahutt) steering rack limited very nicely at the weekend.
BenB

posted on 17/9/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Valve springs under the control boot also does the job and gives some self-centering for SVA
mad-butcher

posted on 17/9/08 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
and my way Rescued attachment limiter.jpg
Rescued attachment limiter.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 17/9/08 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
We machined some aluminium spacers and slipped them over the rack before fitting the steering arms.

Phil

Simon

posted on 17/9/08 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Wicket - jubilee clips for me too

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.