Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What's the beef here?
nick205

posted on 19/9/08 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
What's the beef here?

Fozzie - I get the drift of your sticky, but I for one don't really see the issue. If the post is of no interest you move on to one that is. IMHO the fact that posts drop off the front page so quickly is a funtion of a popular and busy forum with a limited "new post" section.

Close to 18,000 members and 30 "new posts" - maybe there's a better way of displaying the information?

BTW - as a long standing member (99/17,600)I'm not dissing the forum in any way, merely pointing out that I don't see a problem here.

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

LoMoss

posted on 19/9/08 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
As the domain says.. Locost buiders not locost sellers.
D Beddows

posted on 19/9/08 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not Fozzie obviously :-) but my problem with it is that one of the problems with the layout of this forum is that there are so many sub forums that once your post drops off the front page people don't tend to answer because it can be quite hard to find - so if someone posts separate ads for their sat nav, washing machine,wireless router etc etc then other posts from people actualy having problems with their build don't tend to get answers - perhaps if, like the 'madhouse' sub forum, posts to the 'for sale' sub forum didn't appear on the front page it would be better?

[Edited on 19/9/08 by D Beddows]

LoMoss

posted on 19/9/08 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Too slow ^^

Posted possible solution as For sale guideline earier (as you cant post on Fozzies thread.)

If there is not a technical post you can help with and your not building then a sub 'home page with the 'any thoughts' & build pictures etc is of interest.

Technical, would mean technical....Locost, tin tops, PCs, house alarm faults etc. obscure helps which would need a large number of views to achieve an answer.

Moss

D Beddows

posted on 19/9/08 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ah well, there you go - great minds and all that Simple is better though, you seem to have got a bt involved

Having said that of course people will just post ads for their sat nav in a different sub forum - but now we've kicked up a bit of a fuss..........

Can I just mention that I've started having to explain why I'm looking at an internet site containing pictures of large breasted ladies to my kids again at home............

[Edited on 19/9/08 by D Beddows]

LoMoss

posted on 19/9/08 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Now you will have the grammar/text police along in the MORNING.

There is large breasted ladies on this site????? and whuy arent your kids in bed?

[Edited on 20/9/08 by LoMoss]

[Edited on 20/9/08 by LoMoss]

RK

posted on 19/9/08 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
May I have it on record that I have no problem with the large breasted ladies. And sorry, what was the first part?

Um, just for research purposes, where are the aforementioned globes?

[Edited on 19/9/08 by RK]

Fozzie

posted on 20/9/08 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Hopefully, when the site is re-vamped (I know not when) a lot of these issues can be addressed.

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/9/08 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Fozzie - I get the drift of your sticky, but I for one don't really see the issue. If the post is of no interest you move on to one that is. IMHO the fact that posts drop off the front page so quickly is a funtion of a popular and busy forum with a limited "new post" section.

And i for one dont see why you have such an issue with there being rules for selling on the forum - especially given that there are traders on the forum who pay for the privilege!! Do we really need one person selling multiple items posting multiple threads - and in doing so might inadvertently put themselves within the trader status of 5 sale threads in a month?? When people are trying to sell items then they really want them on the front page - not shoved off by other needless posts!! I started a thread earlier when more than half the new posts were individual items for sale - and there were brand new threads started for items posted less than 24 hours previously!! 1 item currently for sale has got at least 3 posts (editted - now on for at least the 4th time!!!) - do you think that its ok to do that - especially when posts are put up within such a short timescale, rather than simply bumped to the top???

I for one think clear guidelines are way overdue!! I'm in no doubt people on here dont set out to do anything wrong, simply dont know or realise!! At least now its down in black and white so whats the issue??

I joined this site to learn how to build a car, not to see countless For Sale items, although yes this is a good thing that we can sell here, for free and to a highly targetted audience!! A properly worded concise advert not only draws attention to those who are looking to buy items, but allows those who arent to skip it so a "For Sale" or "FS" in the title should really help!!

[Edited on 20/9/08 by Paul TigerB6]

brynhamlet

posted on 20/9/08 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
I can see a thread here.

LocostBuilders is about building cars.

A "POSTING FREEK" adds a post complaining about none build issues, which is also a none build issue.

A good percentage of posts on here are none build issues, but it is still good entertainment which is part of the reason I read it

Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/9/08 at 01:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brynhamlet
I can see a thread here.

LocostBuilders is about building cars.

A "POSTING FREEK" adds a post complaining about none build issues, which is also a none build issue.

A good percentage of posts on here are none build issues, but it is still good entertainment which is part of the reason I read it

I know thats aimed at me, and just to be clear, i posted a thread asking if we could have a sticky to clarify matters in the For Sale section for the benefit of all, especially new members!! Do you have an issue with one post thats hopefully for the long term benefit of the forum / everyone then???

I'd be interested in hearing your justification for clearly thinking my post was un-warranted!! Fozzie has put a sticky up following my post so clearly it was warranted in the eyes of the moderators who keep this site running through thick and thin!!

Over to you............ and the others who clearly have an issue with site rules

[Edited on 20/9/08 by Paul TigerB6]

andyharding

posted on 20/9/08 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Our site admins are obviously feeling left behind by the bureaucratic tossers running the country and think they need to make our lives even more officious.

Franky, this site has really started to go down hill since that stupid donation flash page was introduced.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

mr henderson

posted on 20/9/08 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyharding
Our site admins are obviously feeling left behind by the bureaucratic tossers running the country and think they need to make our lives even more officious.

Franky, this site has really started to go down hill since that stupid donation flash page was introduced.

Sounds like you object to that reminder page that asks people to contribute to the running costs of this site.

I can't remember what it says exactly, because, having contributed a long time ago, I don't see it any more.

As far as this site going downhill, I've been here a long time (I had a different name before) and I disagree completely.

You need to sort out that site linked to in your signature, there is something seriously wrong with it, I assume it's been hacked. I would advise anyone else reading this NOT to click on it

John

Jon Ison

posted on 20/9/08 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Whats the problem guys ?

I never go to front page anyway, desktop shortcut takes me straight to forum, if its red someone as posted in there since I last looked, simple.

Richard Quinn

posted on 20/9/08 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
There does seem to be a case of cabin fever going on at the moment (probably partly weather, partly pirate talking induced).
McLannahan

posted on 20/9/08 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
There does seem to be a case of cabin fever going on at the moment (probably partly weather, partly pirate talking induced).

Well said.

In my opinion (I'm not "down with it" enough to use IMO) this forum software is the cause of many of these arguments/discussions - It's not great to be honest but I do appreciate that this is run as a charity and time and money can't always be thrown at the project.

We do get some really aggressive replies sometimes to things, and I'm sure it's not the way it was meant but just the way it reads. Having worked with and in IT for a very long time, I can hand on heart say how much I hate electronic communication for putting so many things out of context.

We see forum aggression and keyboard warriors by the day and it's nice that this forum isn't as bad as others - we need to keep it this way. So few of the comments would be made in the same way if it were face-to-face unless you wanted to loose friends fast!

I do see the irony in me posting this message about electronic communication in a web forum but as Bart Simpson pointed out - "The ironing is thick in here!"

If anyone is offended by what I've written then these smilie faces will help...

Michael

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.