Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Right angle adapter for type 9 gearbox speedo...
givemethebighammer

posted on 19/2/04 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Right angle adapter for type 9 gearbox speedo...

Where's best (alright cheapest) to buy the above. Think I may get through speedo cables like no tomorrow without one !!!!
chrisg

posted on 19/2/04 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember that last time we had this discussion, Richfield came out cheapest at £55 ish

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Jon Ison

posted on 19/2/04 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
i saw some one buying one at Europa last weekend, dint take note of price though......

Deckman001

posted on 19/2/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Andy resorted to getting one from Europa I think, but then had to get one of their cables as well to make it fit. So best check when ordering !!

Jason

givemethebighammer

posted on 19/2/04 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
thanks, knew I had seen the discussion somewhere. Anyone got Richfields phone number and does their one need the special cable ?

thanks

Dusty

posted on 19/2/04 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I used an adapter from Speedy Cables that uses the sierra cable. They are on 01992 581600 but their website is useless.
JoelP

posted on 19/2/04 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
i kept the demon thieves catalogue specifically cos i saw one of those in it, i thought it was £38 but not sure. In fact, i'll check now!...

oops, £63 it is...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

thebutler

posted on 20/2/04 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
You could try this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9895&item=2461139169

Would have to find out if it's suitable though...It's certainly cheap

Steve

givemethebighammer

posted on 20/2/04 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
thanks - next time I'll do a search !!!

jmbillings

posted on 20/2/04 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I tried one of those Ebay ones for a laugh - unsuitable though. Firstly the ratio isn't 1:1, secondly the input and output were completely wrong (for the Ford cable/Type 9 box anyway) and lastly, it's bloody enormous and wouldn't have fitted in the tunnel!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 20/2/04 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
As a bodge to get the speedo working i ran the cable through a grommet in the tunnel side wall and across the drivers floor fixed down with a couple of P clips, then up the side panel to the speedo.
It does work but does not look very neat.
I saw the adaptor boxes on Ebay and nearly bought one to try, I think i will eventually make a gearbox adaptor or change to an electronic speedo.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by givemethebighammer
Where's best (alright cheapest) to buy the above. Think I may get through speedo cables like no tomorrow without one !!!!

chrisg

posted on 21/2/04 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Would the electronic module from the Granada fit in the tunnel, and how would you get it to work?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

ChrisW

posted on 5/3/04 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Can this module be fitted to a 'normal' type 9 Chris?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 5/3/04 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one on the spare type 9 in the garage, as I say from a 2.0 Granada, from memory it's got three wires coming out of it, I'll post a piccy.

Cheers

Chris

britishtrident

posted on 15/3/04 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
The 3 wire speedo drivers use hall effect switches, trouble there are different standards, Rover ones seem to be 1000 pulses per mile. The injection versions of the Montego, Maestro and old 80s 3box Rover 216 had a mechanical spedo but a neat hallefect speed sender unit for driving the efi computer that was driven by a short cable from the gearbox the other end going to the mechanical speedo.
Northy

posted on 16/3/04 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
I've got one on the spare type 9 in the garage, as I say from a 2.0 Granada, from memory it's got three wires coming out of it, I'll post a piccy.

Cheers

Chris

Chris, have you got any more information on this? Will it drive a Greengauges speedo?

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

elitewiring

posted on 16/3/04 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
you could always buy the whole cable from caterham (includes adaptor) thats if you have there type of money.
elitewiring

posted on 16/3/04 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
caterham caterham caterham.
JoelP

posted on 16/3/04 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
bizzare isnt it...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

elitewiring

posted on 16/3/04 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
thats neat how thatword is automatically changed to cateringvan, but also very anoying.
how about cat er ham.

elitewiring

posted on 16/3/04 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
sorted that then !!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.