Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fibreglass dash - how easy?
scoobyis2cool

posted on 14/9/04 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fibreglass dash - how easy?

I want to make myself a nice sculpted dashboard after I pass SVA and I think fibreglass would probably be the best material for this.

However, i've never used fibreglass before so I was just wondering how easy it is to use? Is a dashboard a reasonable thing to expect to be able to make after a little practice?

Cheers

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 14/9/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
read the bit on fibreglass on my site

atb

steve

Hugh Paterson

posted on 15/9/04 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Pete, its a doddle, if you want somthing specific to your car and get stuck gimme a shout. Easiest way is to manufacture the plug in good old MDF, spray with Hi build wet n dry down to a good surface with 1500 then topcoat with the gloss. The down side is the hi build aint cheap for a small job, but two pack paint is just as good. All the works in the quality of finish on the plug.
Shug.

chrisf

posted on 16/9/04 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Good stuff, Steve. I'm considering doing some Kevlar seats and learned quite a bit from your writings.

--Thanks, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 16/9/04 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just got around to properly reading through your site Steve, very useful info, not doubt I will be referring to it a lot in future as I'm planning on designing and building a car from scratch at some point.

Cheers

Pete

timf

posted on 16/9/04 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.fibreglast.com/

has very informative info and a forum for all things composite

scoobyis2cool

posted on 16/9/04 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, looks useful, I'll check it out..

Pete

DarrenW

posted on 17/9/04 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
An alternative to Fibreglass is vac formed ABS.

More common than you think. All automotive components supplied to OEM's are in returnable plastic boxes with plastic inserts. These are made from basic moulds where a sheet of ABS is placed over the top in a vac forming machine, heated and sucked down. The work is in the mould but this can be made at home. Restriction is size of machine - may need dash to be made in two sections. My father did this to get a glovebox aperture made for his locost dash. Yes its smaller by far but shows an opportunity. There are more people around to do this than you might think. 2 in my area - Brownridge Plastics and PDM North East (Mike Bourner who runs PDM has been successful at Rally cross with 911 Porsche where he has made several carbon and kevlar composite body panels. Top bloke and willing to try anything (almost))

Hope this helps,
Darren.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.