Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Under the Dash
JAG

posted on 9/11/04 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Under the Dash

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to cover/protect the area under the dash? I am told that there is an increasing need to cover bolt/nuts and protect the passengers from sharp objects located under the dash - such as the wiper motor, steering column and supports etc...

Does anyone have any detail?

Have you had an SVA test recently? Did your inspector look under your dash?

All information gratefully received

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

David Jenkins

posted on 9/11/04 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
My SVA man had a REALLY good look under the dash - head under both sides (and that's not easy in a Locost!) with a torch.

I think they're looking for neat wiring that's fixed up out of the way and won't get caught by anything. Also looking for any sharp bits likely to carve up your legs when they flap around in an accident - bolt heads, sharp edges, etc.

I used 8mm button-head bolts to hold my scuttle on, and put some foam neatly round some steel strip used to brace the steering column.

cheers,

David

wicket

posted on 9/11/04 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I asked the SVA help desk the same question some while ago and this was the response. This is also in the latest SVA manual, section 6.
JAG

posted on 9/11/04 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input guys - anyone else????

Wicket; the document you have attached is very useful and kind of answers all my questions, Thanks

[Edited on 9/11/04 by JAG]

Justin

Dave Ashurst

posted on 9/11/04 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Justin,

Radius it the same as any exposed area that the knee-sized dome can reach.

My test was 3 yrs ago but they had a very good check around under the dash even then.
I had already covered the wiper motor, but then had to cover some other projections and edges at their request.

Dave

locoboy

posted on 9/11/04 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
how would you fare if you enclosed the dash space from below with a suitably padded pannel?

Would they require this to be removed to see whats behind it in terms of wiring security etc?

Also the same question for having a one piece floor, how can they inspect tranny tunnel for brake pipe and wiring security if you cant see into it - do they make you remove the top?

ATB
Locoboy

David Jenkins

posted on 9/11/04 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
Also the same question for having a one piece floor, how can they inspect tranny tunnel for brake pipe and wiring security if you cant see into it - do they make you remove the top?

In my case, he had a very good look from both ends of the transmission tunnel, while the car was up on the lift. He spotted a number of things from below!! I had to fix some wiring in the boot space, which couldn't be seen from below (I had a fixed boot cover).

rgds,

David

JAG

posted on 9/11/04 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help everyone.

The file attached by Wicket outlines the method. This says that only objects that fall below the bottom edge of the dash but above a plane 150mm above the seat cushion can be checked with the sphere.

All objects behind the dash, and above the lower edge, should be exempt.

I guess I'll take this with me to the testing station (when I finally get there) and tell them their job - should help break the ice with the inspector

I guess before I get to that point I'll spend a while covering the sharp edges, even those behind the dash, just to be on the safe side.

Justin

David Jenkins

posted on 9/11/04 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Just make the wiring tidy, and show that you've thought about protecting edges - should be OK then!

Don't forget to take a bag of edging, foam, tie-wraps, etc. to the SVA, just in case.

David

Petemate

posted on 9/11/04 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys
I'm at present some way through the under-dash project, having now fitted my dash panel. I've got a bit of old boot carpet from which I'm making the trim. It's easy to make, using the old tried and tested method of pieces of card for templates (a bit like dressmaking) The passenger side is nearly complete, goes nicely across form the nearside to the centre/side of the dash and covers everything up. It is secured with the nice little plastic trim buttons, only a couple of quid or so, from Halfords. They are two-piece, push-in jobbies, and to remove you just undo the screw in the middle. I can't see SVA wanting to look under the passenger side, but if he needs to verify the collapsible element of the Sierra column, on the driver side it will be only a few seconds to drop it down for him to check. Sorry no pics, I'm at work at B'ham, I'll try to post something when I get back to Oxford tomorrow.

[Edited on 9/11/04 by Oldgitpete]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.