Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Polyurethane foam for seats
Slimy38

posted on 9/7/21 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Polyurethane foam for seats

I need to rebuild my seats as I'm taking a different approach. I want to keep the same sort of rigidity that the donor seats were (MX5), but I'm not sure what foam was used. It's not a squishy foam like a chair or settee foam, it's probably only one degree away from being completely solid.

I believe what I'm looking for is polyurethane foam, but when I google for it I can only see the expanding stuff. I had one experience of that when I was doing my house windows and I'd be more than happy to never see that stuff again. But I don't think that's what I need anyway.

What should I be looking for, what is this almost solid foam that I can cut and mould to fit my a$$? Would the 2 part foams that are used with bin bags get me something to work with?

snapper

posted on 9/7/21 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
It’s upholstery foam, there are many many different types so you would have firm foam for the base layer then a bit more give for the top and a very different type as an over skin between the cover and the foam.
It’s very much a “how does it feel” thing

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 9/7/21 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

This is the foam we use to shape the body of our pilots in the seat of our LMP3 car at work:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/indi-seat-kit-737075/

A bit expensive, but professional stuff.

Hope that will help

Slimy38

posted on 9/7/21 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
It’s upholstery foam, there are many many different types so you would have firm foam for the base layer then a bit more give for the top and a very different type as an over skin between the cover and the foam.
It’s very much a “how does it feel” thing

Initially I thought this was too soft, but I've gone back to it now and it's actually not far off. I was just imagining it being much stiffer than it is.

In that case I'll get myself down to Dunelm and get the hardest stuff they have, it should still be soft enough for a seat.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.