Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Will I fit in a locost?
BigFaceDave

posted on 20/6/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Will I fit in a locost?

Hello all, this is my first post so please be gentle with me! After many years of wanting a westfield/Caterham/7 replica type i am now seriously looking at them with the intention to buy (already made preferably) but i think there maybe a problem in as much as i am 6ft 1 and a bit on the round side, not the size of a whale but im getting on for 19 stone. Just wondering if there is anyone else of a simular size to me or if there are hints on particular kits that are designed for a lard arse! Any help would be greatfully appreciated! P.S If anyone wants a nice 1999 R1 for £2500 please let me know!
graememk

posted on 20/6/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
mark from spalding has a viento for sale...... and they are very big

its also a very very good price

oh hello and welcom too

omega0684

posted on 20/6/09 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
welcome friend,

my dad is 6'2" and was 18.5 stone when he first drove mine, it was a bit of a squeeze and he struggled with the peddles due to his size 13 feet! he is now 15 st and he has no problem tho,

i would recommend you going to something like a wide-bodied westfield which are a little more forgiving for the larger owner or a LWB wide-bodied if your worried about your height also. have a look at the viento's, they are big cars in themselves so should provide plenty of room, i think there was a guy on the forum selling his V8 one, that would have plenty of get up and go for you to jolly about in. obviously make sure that you go and see and sit in the car before you buy to make sure you fit.

HTH's

Alex

edited, cheers graeme, you beat me too it

[Edited on 20/6/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hellbent345

posted on 20/6/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
i think that there are ways and means of getting yourself to fit in most cars, one of the main things is if you do buy one of the narrower cars, do away with a seat and get one of the expanding foam things, and basically sit in the chassis rather than a seat, lots of people do this whatever size they are anyway. Main thing is you should be able to fit in anything really, just a case of finding a way to alter seats if needed - but mostly you wont need to - unless the car in question has a fiberglass seat, they are well narrow! i fit in those nice and tight, and im 14st, so that would be something to consider

Al

Ps welcome!

[Edited on 20/6/09 by hellbent345]

RichardK

posted on 20/6/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm 6'4" and fairly lardy, I have a locost that I built myself from the McSorely +442 plans , these are 4" longer and 4" wider and 2" higher than a book locost.

Viento's are also very big, maybe worth a look.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 20/6/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Your hieght wont be a problem, I'm a similar height and fit in a standard locost nicely.

Girth might be a problem mind... just go and see a few - plenty for sale at the moment, have a sit in and see what your comfortable in.

Only thing I'll add is make sure you get in the drivers seat, as they arn't symetrical.

big_wasa

posted on 20/6/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Well I am 6'3" and about as round with size 12 feet

Main areas for work are the pedal box and seat choice.

ie the most compact pedals you can find and very minimal seats.

David Jenkins

posted on 20/6/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Keep an eye out for the East Anglian Kit Car Club event in Diss, once a month.

With any luck Geoff will turn up with his Viento - he's a tall, stoutly-built bloke (polite description!) and his son's even taller.

My car (yellow/silver) felt like a Dinky toy alongside his (black/silver)... but there's absolutely no lack of space all round the car, while still looking and behaving like a seven.

barton mills
barton mills

mediabloke

posted on 20/6/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome, Dave!

Might also be worth considering an MNR as well as the Viento? They claim to support up to 6' 4" and 16.5 stone, and so should be more than comfortable.

Francis.

[Edited on 20/6/09 by mediabloke]

hellbent345

posted on 20/6/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
by the way, where are you based? im a bungay boy meself you anywhere near?

Al

BigFaceDave

posted on 20/6/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I am in South Lopham between Diss and Thetford so not too far from you, Id like to say thank you to all the people who have already replied! I did'nt realize how many people local to me there are! I have noticed there is a meeting in Diss coming up so i will try to get down and have a nose about then!
hellbent345

posted on 20/6/09 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
not far away at all! hope you find a suitable kit, id love to get down to one of those meetings but i work sundays atm

Al

LBMEFM

posted on 21/6/09 at 04:27 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the site, I am 6' 6" tall and wiegh 18.5 stone. I fit my MK Indy-Blade fine although a deep dish steering wheel helps. Don't what it does for the cars performance though compared to much lighter drivers. Oh um least we fit. Barry
zilspeed

posted on 21/6/09 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Your weight has little to do with how well you will fit.

When I was 19 stone, I didn't fit particularly well.

I'm now 12 1/2 stone and I still don't fit a locost particularly well. All down to a lot of my height being in my back and my legs being a bit long for the cockpit too.

Girth around the middle can be dealt with by your choice of seat or by deleting the seat altogether. The latter is actually quite a good choice.

No seat, but either a foam pad or a 2 part foam racing seat moulded to you is the best option.

GrumpyOne

posted on 21/6/09 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I would hate to be on the opposite side to us lot in a bar brawl

I am 6’ 6” and 20 stone and fit in the Viento with room to spare.

My wife is very understanding, she understands that if I am in the garage I am not in the house annoying her.

BenB

posted on 21/6/09 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I think the width might be the issue- I'm 6ft4, size 14 feet and 14 stone. It's a tight squeeze.... Foot size means I have to wear converse boots to drive....
BigFaceDave

posted on 21/6/09 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I also have size 14 feet so i think i may have difficulty there too, still i wont be detered by these small matters, i will just have to starve myself thin and chop a couple of toes off each foot! Job done!
Ninehigh

posted on 4/7/09 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Am I the smallest guy here at under 6 foot?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.