Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WOO HOO its interview time
omega0684

posted on 21/8/09 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
WOO HOO its interview time

just got the called from BP and they want to interview me next Wednesday!

Yippee!

Now guys and girls, i put it to you? what sort of things are they going to ask me? do any of you have any experience conducting interviews? what questions do you ask the interviewees?

All constructive comments welcome!

Alex

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 21/8/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Good work! well chuffed for you.

At the end of the interview ask "after your questions is there any specific reason you can see why you wouldn't employ me in this role", then enjoy the awkward silence

Craig

richardh

posted on 21/8/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
what makes you suitable for this position

i've had that question every time for the last 11 years and i'm a contractor!

good luck

Time for a change!

jeffw

posted on 21/8/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
fingers crossed

Irony

posted on 21/8/09 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Interview

Don't forget that you are interviewing them to see if they are suitable employers of your fantastic skills. Its not all one way. They need you just as much as you need them.

Questions you might need to answer:

What makes you want to work for this employer, what can you bring to this company, why should they employ you. General run of mill stuff.

Body Language:

I have turned people away because of poor body language. Some people say that 90% of communication is none verbal, I don't agree with this but they have a point. Back straight, confident walk, good eye contact, firm handshake, smile, relax (but don't put your feet up), hearty laugh, cheeky grin. Make them warm to you.

Dress:

Smart, no matter what the job. I had a carpenter come for a interview once in a dirty vest and dungarees. I said 'just come from work?'. He said 'nah, just normal clothes, carpenters don't have to dress smart for interviews, that's the rules'. What a load of rubbish, my company, my interview, my rules. Silly man.

On a lighter note, once at the end of a interview I asked the candidate if he had any questions. He said with a laugh 'When do I start?'. Well......I thought it was funny but he didn't get the job.

Just my two pennies worth

02GF74

posted on 21/8/09 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I was told by someone who had to do interviews, and I've conducted a couple myself, that interviewing takes a lot of your time if it is not your full time occupation.

So basically the interviewer wants to give you the job so he does not have to sit more interviews.

In other words, you have got the job the minute you walk through the door, and your task in the interview is not to blow it and not get the job.

good luck.

Jasongray5

posted on 21/8/09 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ive done a fair few interviews and they are BORING!!! realy F**king BORING!
Make yours interesting and they will remember you and automaticaly like you as you will make their boring day a little brighter?

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

l0rd

posted on 21/8/09 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know what sort of questions they might ask but you should ask if you will get any free petrol
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 21/8/09 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I was put on the spot with the interview for my current job with the question "Are you a facilitator?"

Luckily I gave the right answer, and landed the job....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

twybrow

posted on 21/8/09 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Alex - I have done quite a few, and I can almost guarantee, there will be a fixed format and questions with such a major company. Do your research well - I don't have time to listen to candidates who have not even Googled our company (not quite the same for BP, but I bet they do more than just petrol/oils. Get an idea of what financial state the company is in (plenty of info out there). Be engaging, and speak enough to fill the time, without peeing them off. Ask lots of well thought out questions, specific to the role and the company. Don't try to bring up salaries in the interview, wait until you know they are interested in you. Be polite, punctual and enthusiastic. Good luck mate - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
hoots_min

posted on 21/8/09 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats and good luck on the interview.

The type of interview and questions tends to be different depending upon what job you go for, but a crucial point is to make sure you have examples (it generally helps that you have actually experienced these examples !! ). There are loads of generic questions on the interweb and you will know what job it is you are going for so you can see which ones would suit your job and how they will be asked.

Some examples:

"have you ever been in a situation where you have had to deal with an awkward situation...?" - don't just answer 'yes', use an example. "there was an individual who had repeatedly been late on assignments, rather than just fire them, I sat down to try and understand why they were consistently late and it was only then that ...." (Try to make everything positive too!)

"What is the important in communicating with your peers/colleagues/supervisor, etc?" - again use examples and think about the different levels that you need communicate at.

"What are your weaknesses?" - This is a bad one but try and think of something that may be a weakness but can be made into a positive for example "I am determined to do my best at all times and I sometimes get frustrated when it does not appear that someone else is giving 100%, but they just work differently to me..."

"Are there any questions you want to ask?" - usually at the end, don't think you need to ask a question, but if you have one that can show a level of knowledge about the company that would set you apart, go for it.

Above all, be honest, don't go telling porkies, you will get caught out at some point.

Hope this helps.

Today is a good day: I achieved new heights of ineptitude.

MikeR

posted on 21/8/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
done loads of interviews as the interviewer & been trained as an interviewer by my company. They are BORING and repetitive as you've got some semi fixed questions.

I disagree about you've got the job when you walk in - I hire someone to work for me for 10 years. I want someone who i want to work with, i'll put up with another interview if i haven't got the right candidate.

So I agree with the comments above about be interesting, polite etc. It does make a difference. You'll be asked some boring question when yuo walk in - how was the journey. This is the break you in question to make you feel at ease and start in a gentle way. They'll then start talking about you or generally about the company. After that the key questions will come.

Always give full 'open' answers - don't do "yes" or "no"(closed answer) unless its "yes - because i think...."

Also the points about interviewing them & reading up are very good. It says a lot about you. So look up the web site, look up the last 5 years profits, look up recent court cases / controversy. Ask (politely) about them - eg "last year you made profits 50% above expectation due to the fuel crisis, this year you're back on track (although the press report 45% drop). How is this percieved in the company, are you on track or is it taken as a huge profit drop & what has the company done about the changing earnings. Ask about long term prospects with oil being a limited resource etc etc.

Favourite questions are "why did you join, what would you recomened about the company to a friend who was interested in joining, what does the company do badly and what is it doing to change, what has it done badly in the last 5 years and what did it do to change.

One thing to remember is people don't often expect a lot of questions therefore you won't have a lot of time. Ask the key ones you want to know and the ones to make you look good.

David Jenkins

posted on 21/8/09 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from all the good advice posted above - dress tidy, turn up on time, and so on:

Listen,
Pay attention,
Concentrate

You should expect to be knackered at the end of the interview, if you've put the effort in.

Also - may sure that they understand that you want the job!

Good luck anyway!

Nash

posted on 21/8/09 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Alex, build scenarios around the job role, as I recall isn't this a logistics / scheduling type role? Whatever it is have about 4 or 5 scenarios (examples) to help you answer the range of questions they will ask; how did you recover something that went wrong, what did you do to plan for something complicated being achieved without issue. Also remember the STAR method! Situation, Tasks, Actions and Results. This will stop you waffling on and help you get your point across.

Example: How did you turn a project around that was failing badly?
Answer: I inherited a failing project from a previous Project Manager that was both over budget and behind on time. Consequently the project team was demotivated. I took the decision to analyse the specific issues, involving the team to do it. Broke the workload to bring us back on course down into managable deliverable tasks which I agreed with the Project sponser and stakeholders and actioned the team members to deliver them to the plan. The result was we came in on time and to budget while motivation the team and realising the business benefit.

If you have 4 or 5 different scenarios like that you should be able to answer any question. One word of caution, be prepared to answer follow on questions related to the scenario. In other words don't make these up as you will get caught out if the interviewer is any good!

One laast point, I don't know if there ae any competancy tests at this interview but if there are they are designed to test a broad spectrum of abilities. This means there are questions you will not be able to answer in the time limit. Don't try to answer the questions in a linear fashion I.e. One after the other. If a question slows you down move on you can always come back to it!

HTH's. Let us know how you get on

good hunting.......... Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

MikeR

posted on 21/8/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
some questions my boss used to love .....

pick a difficult time in your career life - looking back, how well did you handled it and what would you do differently?

(had one bloke who admitted putting someone up against a wall when stressed and said he'd do it again!!!! he didn't get the job).

Have you ever been demotivated at work? why was this, what did you do about it?

What is more important, enjoying work, getting the job done or doing the job correctly?

What is the most important lesson you've learned in your last job and why?

What about your previous roles would you change ? (and the killer - why didn't you change it?)

ashg

posted on 21/8/09 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
in my line of work you get all the above. if you get through that your next interview is a 3 hour test. if you get through that we take you out on the job for real and see how you do.

if you pass all of that you get the job. we have been interviewing for 6months so far and we are still looking.

oh and anyone that has ever asked when do i start has never got past interview one.

dont be cocky if your good at what you do an interviewer will know. be humble but posative, look at the other people that work there as you walk in and aim to fit in with what you see.

[Edited on 21/8/09 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ashg

posted on 21/8/09 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
also what are you applying to do? i have some friends that work at bp that may be able to help.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Steve Hignett

posted on 21/8/09 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I've had my fair share of interviews, but never from the other side.

All I would add is that to arrive 5 minutes early is late, get there well ahead of time! Obviously dress smart and research as much as you can.

Do not be afraid to see you don't know something, it's much better than lying, that doesn't mean you can't add - "I do not know, but if I were responsible in making that decision, I would do this...".

All the best Mate, I'm sure you'll do great.

l0rd

posted on 21/8/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Try to get there early and try to avoid Vauxhall Vectras driven by women.

I know because one crashed on me on my way to the interview.

madmandegge

posted on 21/8/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats! And good luck with the interview!
lotusmadandy

posted on 21/8/09 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck with the interview,keep
us informed of the outcome.
what position are you applying for?

Andy

omega0684

posted on 21/8/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the advice guys, keep it coming if more things enter your mind that you think may be beneficial.

the job is a 'Fuels Order Centre dispatcher' i have the interview with two women one is the HR Manager and the other is a senior manager who is overseeing the new project site. apparently its a brand new facility in milton keynes on witan gate west road.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Blackcab

posted on 21/8/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck, smile, be happy, play your favourite cd before you go in to get you in a good mood , clean shoes take in 3 copies of your cv so that everyone has one as well as anything you have - certificates etc.
Fred W B

posted on 22/8/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol etc having a low flashpoint is considered a "hazerdous substance" for transport and their are lots of regulations around this. I think in Europe drivers (of fuel tankers) have to be specially trained. Might be an idea to research some of this, as the job may involve aspects of this?

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 22/8/09 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

coozer

posted on 22/8/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
What are your strengths? and weakness's?

Thats the one that I dread as I've no idea what they want to hear!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.