Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: interior panels, bonded?
Miks15

posted on 15/12/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
interior panels, bonded?

i posted about riveting my interior panels in yesterday, but can they just be bonded in? i thought because its going to be hard to drill all the holes in the chassis tubes, especially down by the floor. So bonding wold be so much quicker and easier.

Cheers

Mikkel

turbodisplay

posted on 15/12/09 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I used rivets on mine, i have a few pannels. If you do want to use bonding, use a few rivets.
It is stong, but if it peels it is weaker. A rivet will halt a peel.
Darren

[Edited on 15/12/09 by turbodisplay]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 15/12/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I used trusty old sikaflex 4,5 years ago for the tunnel sides. Still solid as a rock. Go for it!
Miks15

posted on 15/12/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
brilliant cheers, Guess i could pop a few rivets in the corners say, just to hold it all tight, just dont fancy drill hundreds of holes thats all! Plus i would probably sikaflex it anyway to seal it.

Cheers Guys

bodger

posted on 15/12/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'm going to sikaflex the sides & maybe velcro the top on. I sure that's what MK said they do now.
turbodisplay

posted on 15/12/09 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Dont forget it is not fuel resistant - guess how I know that!
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 15/12/09 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
sikaflex and rivet every 3" or so?
they'd be close enough to look good, but not overkill. you could always add more between later if you wanted

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Miks15

posted on 15/12/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
its still a bit too much work for the rivets, im trying to avoid having to drill, will be a right pain getting a clean hole in to the chassis rails down by the floor.
sebastiaan

posted on 15/12/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Almost forgot, the rear bulkhead on mine is bonded in too!
jabbahutt

posted on 16/12/09 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
if it's any help I used rivnuts to secure my interior panels. I too didn't fancy drilling the bottom rails so made removeable floor panels with hard wearing vinyl which when in place keep all the interior panel bottom edges pressed against the chassis rails.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.