Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre Size
tigerzetec

posted on 27/2/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Tyre Size

Hi, Does anybody know where i can buy 235/35/17 tyres from? I have seen evidence of people owning at least 3 major brands of tyre (Goodyear, pirelli & Toyo) in this size, but when you contact a tyre distributor or fitter, they don't list this size. I specifically need these dimensions, so that my diameter does not change. Thanks........
Hellfire

posted on 27/2/10 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
A 205/40 tyre will give you an almost identical diameter to a 235/35 on a 17" wheel and some of the other sizes won't be too far out. What is so critical that you don't want the diameter to change?

You could also fit a smaller diameter wheel with a higher profile tyre to give you the same/similar diameter. For example: A 215/50/15 combination will give you the same diameter.

Phil

[Edited on 27-2-10 by Hellfire]

tigerzetec

posted on 27/2/10 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have 205/40's already. Having my rear arches extended, so opportunity to have a wider tyre. I have 7'' rims, so i beleive 235 is the maximum safe width. As for diameter, didn't want to go bigger, as worried it might be too close for any wheel travel once inside the arch. A 235/40 will give me +24mm more than i have now, too big.....
tomgregory2000

posted on 27/2/10 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
225 is the biggest you can go on a 7" rim, i know ive been looking into this for a while
tigerzetec

posted on 27/2/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I could consider 225/35's all round i suppose........ I would only lose 7mm on the diameter, but then be virtually running on rubber bands, as i'm not far off that now LOL.
Hellfire

posted on 27/2/10 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
A 235/40 tyre will only give you an additional 12mm into the arch..........

Phil

tigerzetec

posted on 27/2/10 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thats interesting, Ive been using tyresave's tyre size calculator on the net where you enter what you have already, then enter what size you want o change to and its gives the tolerence in % & the diameter in mm. Ive used this for years and always assumed it was correct. What one do you use?
Hellfire

posted on 27/2/10 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I just do the calculation using the sizes given.........

What I'm trying to say is that although a 235/40 will give you an additional 24mm in diameter as you quite rightly state, only 12mm of this will be in the arch.

Phil

tigerzetec

posted on 27/2/10 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
So, you think that i could go for 235/40 then without the risk of rubbing. Its the back part of the arch that concerns me, as this seems quite close with the tyres i have already. As far as clearing the indicators, i could just add spacers in. Although i would then have different profiles to the fronts. Nothing is ever straight forward in life is it Lol......... Thanks for your input on this subject though. I'll probably end having them extended to the current 205's that i have now, unless i find the elusive 235/35's
Toltec

posted on 27/2/10 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have some 225/45/15 R888s on 7" rims they fit OK but do bulge out over the rims a bit. Technically the minimum rim is a 7.5" for that width in less than a 50 section. 235/35 needs an 8" minimum according to this calculator so you may have problems putting them on a 7" rim.
tigerzetec

posted on 27/2/10 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Had a look at the calculator, I see what you mean. Perhaps i should stay with the tyres that i have on now. They are hardly worn, so would be a waste changing them. I need to be sure of where to go with all of this before i pay out for the arches, as they are going to cost me £400 - £450 to have done. The only reason i'm having to do this is because the gel coat has bleached and i wont get a colour match on a supercat rear (Shame, cos its only £280 ish) The arches on that are wider & will fit my wheels., where as they stick out at the moment and have 375lb springs fitted to stop the tread rubbing on the lip of the arch. The price for the arch conversion covers any width (within reason) so i thought an opportunity to get some more grip (something the car lseverley lacks from a standing start)
Steve G

posted on 27/2/10 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure why you'd want wider tyres anyway to be honest (other than for posing)?? The feel and handling would surely get worse??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.