Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how to mount dash?
mikegsi

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
how to mount dash?

ive looked through the thread pics above to try and help me decide what would be best to mount my dash with.

its currently already cut to size with brushed aluminium, as well as the centre section covering gearstick/handbrake, with holes pre-drilled in both the dash and trim that it sits on.

i plan to wrap it all in 3M carbon Di-Noc vinyl wrap before mounting it. The fuse box and relays are all behind this as well as the bulk of all the wiring, with that in mind i realise id need to be able to take the dash off which rules pop rivets out.

im interested in the Riv-nut idea, as id be able to install them without taking most of the skin off my hands, but once theyre in can they be undone and re-used in the same hole?

my other option is a typical nut/bolt

id like whatever i use to be black so as not to stand out from the rest of the trim....

any other ideas or opinions?

FFTS

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I mounted a dash in a past car with no fixings showing on the outside at all. I drilled mounting holes around the outside of the scuttle, held the dash panel up to it and marked through the holes. I then got some flat headed, countersunk bolts and bonded them on by the heads with an epoxy resin. Once set I mounted the bolts through the holes and secured from behind with wing nuts.

Flash Dash2
Flash Dash2

Chris.

A1

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I used rivnuts, they were a bit tricky in the glassfibre, but theyre not too bad once in...
Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
I used rivnuts, they were a bit tricky in the glassfibre, but theyre not too bad once in...

Best bet is to pop a piece of ali or a suitable washer with the correct sized hole behind the fibreglass. Drill 0.5mm oversize through the glass and then clamp the rivnut up. This puts the pressure on the metal rather than fibreglass - should be more secure and long lasting.

mikegsi

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
looks good mate, and a very good idea too!

mine already have matching holes in both the dash trim and scuttle, and the vinyl wrap would show the holes through it so wouldnt have the perfect finish youve managed there.

mikegsi

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1

once the rivnuts in can i unscrew it and remove the dash if i needed too and then refit using the same rivnuts?

daniel mason

posted on 16/11/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
you can indeed mate! its just a threaded rivet really so you can screw/unscrew as often as you like!

mikegsi

posted on 16/11/10 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
cool, cheers, i'll look into getting some of those then

ive seen rivnut tools on the web, do you need those or can i just pop the 'sleeve' in and then screw the 'screw' bit in?

Canada EH!

posted on 16/11/10 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
You need a rivnut tool, once the rivnuts are in they act as captivated nuts, so what ever style of screw you like is used to hold the panel on and can be removed by simply removing the screws. The rivnuts don't come out.
iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 16/11/10 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
you def need a rivnut tool mate!

mikegsi

posted on 16/11/10 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
ok, i'll look into that to, cheers
Strontium Dog

posted on 16/11/10 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need to buy a rinut tool. They are very easy to make and often better than th ones you can buy.

Heres a simple and effective one!

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/do-yourself-articles/93298-diy-rivnut-puller-install-trunk-cargo-net.html

mikegsi

posted on 16/11/10 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
good find!

i couldnt quite work out in my head how that would work so a quick google later and ive found one with pics that i feel better explain the principle behind it

http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/rivnut-tool.html

cheers again though! job sorted

RK

posted on 17/11/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
it really isn't difficult to make yourself. I think my rivetting tool does rivnuts too, but I've never understood how it works, so the DIY method has worked well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.