Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternator!! starting to hate the car
smiles

posted on 2/8/11 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator!! starting to hate the car

Long story but this is the short-ish version. I have just fitted a new alternator as the old one seized. I fitted the new one after a nightmare finding the right one my original one was rebuilt and had to cut the 3 pin plug off. This was because it had a new board inside and was told the plugs where prone to problems. Anyway the new alternator is fitted and have one positive wire and one negative. i have wired the negative to one of the bolts on the back which was where the old one was wired to so assumed it was a earth position. I have attached the positive wire to all 3 terninals and car will run fine but the alternator isnt charging as i removed the positive terminal from the battery and the car cuts out where as before the car kept running because the old alternator was running the car. The new alternator also has a single pin on its own about an inch or 2 from the 3 pins what is this for? I need to know if i can wire it with just a positive wire and a negative wire? If not what other wires do i need to use and how do i wire it all up cause electrics aint my strong point AT ALL. all comment welcome
Thanks

PSpirine

posted on 2/8/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Key point here - what car is it!!
smiles

posted on 2/8/11 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Key point here - what car is it!!

sorry its a tiger cat e1 based on a 1988 ford sierra and a new ford sierra alternator.

PSpirine

posted on 2/8/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 DOHC I take it then?

That extra connection may be for the energising feed without which the alternator won't generate much power

hicost

posted on 2/8/11 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Help

Description
Description

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smiles

posted on 2/8/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hicost
Description
Description

im guessing its type 4 but i dont understand why i used to have the 3 pin plug with a positive and negative wire attached to it cos that has a battery sense, ignition which is live im guessing and the warning light used to always be on. Where do i wire them all to sorry for al stupid questions but i hate electrics.

hicost

posted on 2/8/11 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Help 2

The key to the wiring is written on the bottom of the picture....

Description
Description

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 2/8/11 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Jings cribbins slow down and try to work logically

If you had the standard Lucas pattern 3 blade connector on the alternator none of the connections are earths.
Small spade is the warning light, big spades are both B+

If an earth wire is fitted it will be external, but if you don have an additional connection don't assume it is an earth it could be either an additional B+ or tacho signal used on diesels)

Never disconnect the battery on car with a running engine it is great way to blow the alternator electronics and put a spike voltage through the rest of electronics.

See full VTR page

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Tiger Super Six

posted on 2/8/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have just had this. My tiger Avon I just swapped from pinto to duratec and needed a different alternator. On the old one you will have a thick wire and this takes the positive feed OUT of the alternator and the thin yellow and black wire is the feed to the lamp on the dash. The old alternator then picked up a live internally some how which kicks the alternator into action and makes the light go out on the dash. On my new alternator I therefore had to wire another switched live to go onto one of the terminals, to make it all work.

From what you have said it sounds like the post you mention will be the feed out for the thick wire (it is on mine) and then you need to figure out the connectors to use from the picture above. Post a picture of the back of.yours and we can give an opinion.

HTH

Mark

Tiger Avon

greenwood03

posted on 3/8/11 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
had similar issues when i replaced mine recently. My old one simply had 2 connections - earth + battery feed. The new one was exactly the same, no amount of messing around would sort it - until the guy that was helping me suggested that we could see whether there was an output by doing a temp rig of a wire from the IG terminal to a bulb and touching it to teh battery......( if i recall correctly ). The light came on, and suddenly the alternator was working properly. Basically mine needed that wire connected to energise it - just the once. We removed the temp bit of wire and since then it works fine ......yes logically it would be handy to have an alternator light on teh dash, but the compnay that refurbed the car a cple of years ago wired up that warning light to the handbrake!

as someone aboev said - worth taking a piccie of the back of yorus and seeing what the great and the good can figure out for you.

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

Neville Jones

posted on 3/8/11 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
The extra wire may well be the one that goes to the carb, for heater/electric choke? I can't recall exactly, but one wire went to the carb and was +12v when the engine was running . I should have a couple of them in the shed. Also got ignition modules and distributors.

Cheers,
Nev.

daviep

posted on 3/8/11 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
If you want anything like an accurate and logical solution you are going to have to post a picture of the alternator connections and then identify the wirring on the car.

My bet for the wiring would be as per BT's 1 positive which goes to the battery and 1 smaller which goes to the warning light.

Do you own a multimeter?

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

smiles

posted on 4/8/11 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote

Here is a pic of the alternator and the green wires r to illustrate where the terminals are theres is 3 in total two with big spade terminal and one with a small spade terminal and u can see to the right of the green wire u cn just see the top of it that is another small spade terminal on its own. Yes there is 2 wires and the thick one is brown and the other is green and yellow or something. I just need to know what wire goes to what ternial on the alernator cos it doesnt seem to be charging the alternator and is there an easier way to check the alternator than taking the possitive terminaloff the battery cos this is the only way i can check.

Yes i have a multimeter... Do i know how to us it...no
Honestly im hopeless with electrics

[Edited on 4/8/11 by smiles]

smiles

posted on 17/8/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
finally got it fixed wasnt using a thick enough wire to get a enough power to cut the alternatro properly but is now sorted thanks for all ur help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.