Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Greenbird TIG Torch Type?
oliwb

posted on 23/3/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Greenbird TIG Torch Type?

Hey folks,

Hoping someone can help me out....after a leave of absence with the welder being stored in a shed I need to use it so have purchased another cylinder of Argon etc. But I need some more ceramics for the torch and have no idea what type the Greenbird 200 amp AC/DC welder uses. There are no markings on the torch head or anywhere else on it for that matter! I think it's probably a WP-26 at it's A.) definitely air cooled and B.) for a 200 amp machine. But I'm presuming the china man that put it together properly specced a torch for it and didn't just put a cheaper type 9 on it!
So does anyone know what it is (it's a yellow non-flexible head one) or how to find out what it is so that I can buy some spares for it!

Thanks,
Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 23/3/12 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Piccies would tell me if its the same as mine and I have part numbers for that!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
oliwb

posted on 23/3/12 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Owelly,

at work just now so don't have any photos of mine - but it's the yellow handled one that came with the welder. I bought it as part of the group buy on here about 2 years ago so maybe that'll narrow it down? If not I'll post pics tomorrow.

Cheers,
Oli.

oliwb

posted on 23/3/12 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to take a punt and guess that it's a WP-17 and buy the spares....I'll post some pictures up anyway so if you can identify it I can always call the shop in the morning and change the order....

Thanks,
Oli.

SeaBass

posted on 23/3/12 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think it's a compatible torch. I also found it very bulky in use.

I changed to a WP17 if I remember properly, may have been a 26. Better results and easier to use for me.

Id have thought that parts for the yellow supplied torch would be readily available on eBay.

Cheers

oliwb

posted on 23/3/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm.....maybe I'll not put the order in yet. Think I'll find out what thread outlet the machine has on it and buy a new WP-26 so that I can more easily get spares. Only really need ceramics right now but it would be handy in the future.

Oli.

Peteff

posted on 23/3/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
WP17, 18 and 26 all use the same size ceramics and parts if I remember right. Just the physical size of the torch body differs so if you like bigger torches go for the high numbers but smaller is easier to handle.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

oliwb

posted on 26/3/12 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Okay, so these Greenbird things are getting confusing w.r.t. spares! I've decided just to splash out and buy a new torch as they're only about £50 and that way I'll know exactly what I've got. The only problem is I'm pretty sure the threaded end of the hose (that attaches to the torch / machine is not a standard BSP type fitting. Got a feeling it is metric! Does anyone have experience of either buying a new torch or new torch / hose assembly and what type thread it needs to have to fit the Greenbird AC/DC 200 amp welder?

Thanks,
Oli.

oliwb

posted on 26/3/12 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Tall order but if anyone has a photo of one of the greenbird hose connections Dylan at R-Tech said he could probably identify it.....

owelly

posted on 26/3/12 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
My TIG isn't a Green Bird but probably came out of the same factory so would it help if I posted piccies of my torch?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

oliwb

posted on 26/3/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, it probably would...especially the fitting where it enters the machine - trying to work out what type of thread it is.....Cheers!

SeaBass

posted on 26/3/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is basically like this but in a Red casing...

I bought the torch with hose/lead and it connected up without any issues to the front of the machine.

The supplied hose/lead was covered by a fabric type heat resistant sheath and the torch end of the connector was way to large for the WP style torches. I stored it all away.

The torch I use also has a finger microswitch that I find better than using the foot micro switch on the foot pedal.

That way I can easily return the power to minimum without releasing the switch.

Rgds

JC

oliwb

posted on 26/3/12 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, the Greenbird is different to that one. It's got no MMA plug and has 9 knobs instead of 5. I've gone and bought a standard WP-26 torch to use with it and Paraweld do adaptors for them - so might end up having to change the 3/8" female connector for whatever this one turns out to be. It's been a good welder for me but obviously getting hold of the proper spares is not as easy as I would have hoped!

Cheers,
Oli.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.