Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do I fit the Heater?
PeetBee

posted on 27/9/04 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Do I fit the Heater?

I have a heater, but I'm not sure that I really want to go to the trouble of fitting it.

I'm likely to drive it in the winter a bit, but just thought I'd wear thick socks and gloves!

But I'd like to know what everyone else has decided, an unnecesary addition of weight or an essential item?
Thanks

James

posted on 27/9/04 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Leave it till later. It's only more effort for the SVA to sort the projections and stuff.

Anyway, from what I gather from others you get so much engine heat it's not really needed anyway!

James

theconrodkid

posted on 27/9/04 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
it can get very cold in winter,most heat will just dissapear so warm gloves,woolie hat or chash helmet and a scarf are the best idea,your feet will stay reasnobly warm tho

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

blueshift

posted on 27/9/04 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
by not having the heater you save a little weight and avoid the risk of having the heater hoses blow off and dump scalding water all over you, which I have seen happen. It put the fear of heaters into me.

I think some people have fitted eyeball vents in the footwells to let in engine bay heat, some other people complain that the footwells get too hot and look for ways to cool it down. trala.

jimgiblett

posted on 27/9/04 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a screen fitted you will need some form of dimisting. You could use the use a water air heat exchanger matrix as per your normal car or use one of those 12v mini hairdriers or remove your screen for SVA.

My 2p

Jim

locoboy

posted on 27/9/04 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
no heating required in my 2.0L pinto car, the exhaust downpipe is a few inches in front of the drivers footwell bulkhead so you get plenty warm air blowing onto that whick keeps the footwell warm.

The warm engine bay air is pushed along the tranny tunnel and keeps that warm too. I have the luxury of a windscreen and side screens and the warm air tends to stay in the cabin.

I guess it depends on you engine choice as to how much engine warmth you get finding its way into the cabin area.

in conclusion heaters are for poofs

ATB
Locoboy

PeetBee

posted on 27/9/04 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your replies!
I think I should have said that it's fitted with a xflow engine (so my passengers will have warm feet!) and as it's a Dutton I don't need to worry about SVA.

But, thanks for helping me make up my mind, I'll leave it out for now and see what it's like once it's on the road.
Cheers
Pete

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/9/04 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a mini heater in my car, but even tho its pretty compact, it takes up a lot of the room behind the dash and is a bit of a squeeze.

MR Hicost of this forum was severely i jured when his hoses blew off the heater and put him in hospital - touch and go at one point apparently.

Some people fit electric heaters for demsiting the screen - tho for cabin heating it would be fairly crap - would draw way too much current. If your car hasnt got a soft top, its probably a waste of time fitting a heater for personal comfort anyway!

atb

steve

PeetBee

posted on 28/9/04 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
did a quick search and found the topic about Hicost's heater incident

Don't think I'll fit one for now, will keep it in the shed. I'll think about fitting if I get too cold.

paulbeyer

posted on 3/10/04 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeetBee
did a quick search and found the topic about Hicost's heater incident

Don't think I'll fit one for now, will keep it in the shed. I'll think about fitting if I get too cold.

I don't know what all the fuss was about. I was sat next to him at the time and I didn't feel a thing.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

Peteff

posted on 3/10/04 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Some people are so unfeeling. I bet he doesn't take you again.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

macspeedy

posted on 3/10/04 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
i have fitted a heater and find it most useful keeps me and passengers warm on late night and cold day trips!
it blows air into the foot well

[Edited on 3/10/04 by macspeedy]

[Edited on 3/10/04 by macspeedy]

Ian Pearson

posted on 4/10/04 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
My heater is a mix of a polo heat exchanger & mini box. Heater hoses connect in the engine bay, so no risk of scalding water in the footwells.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.