Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where do I build the seat support rails for a Haynes roadster?
novicebuilder

posted on 14/4/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Where do I build the seat support rails for a Haynes roadster?

In some pictures of Haynes roadsters I see that there are two floor mounted cross rails fitted between transmission tunnel and base rails on each side, to support the seats. I haven't bought any seats yet, but I plan to have seats on runners. Should I fit these support rails, and if so where? I want to build all chassis parts before spraying so keen to fit these parts now if possible. Grateful for any guidance about size and position of these supports. thanks.
Talon Motorsport

posted on 14/4/13 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
If you put them in blind with out having the seats it does'nt matter where you put them they will be wrong.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 14/4/13 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Can you buy the runners to use as a template?
AdrianH

posted on 14/4/13 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
You really need to have sorted your seats and place them where needed before putting in any bracing.

If you have fixed seats without runners then this is a must. Even if you have runners you need to check the travel between the shortest driver and tallest before fitting the fixings.

Depending on the seat make or ru8nner the holes can also be different.

So best is to get your seats first then place, sit in them and then decide fixings.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Steve

posted on 14/4/13 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi do you need to have these rails or can you just fit the 100x100 plates to bolt through?????
AdrianH

posted on 14/4/13 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Hi do you need to have these rails or can you just fit the 100x100 plates to bolt through?????

This is just a guess, but I would say possible depending on the material used for the floor and to what use the car is for race or road.

If road then the ultimate decision is on the IVA test if it passes the inspectors scrutiny.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

jps

posted on 15/4/13 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I've had the same challenge to overcome. In the end I bought my seats first, then made a subframe to hold the seat in the correct position from 3mm steel strip - then fastened a piece of chipboard to the underside of the chassis and plonked the seat in the car and tried the position - i.e. sat in it with the pedal box and steering wheel in place. Once I was happy with where the seat was I marked it out, bought some runners and lined it all up - THEN fitted the two 3mmx25 cross members once I knew where the holes for the seat runners needed to go.

I'm going to use an alu sheet for the floor - so wanted a stronger fixing for the seat - if i'd be fitting a steel floor I may have approached it differently.

I was going to go for fixed seats initially, but didn't trust that i'd get the alignment perfect. So runners seemed essential to me...

40inches

posted on 15/4/13 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
As all the above, but I have a steel floor and still used 25mm box section, with 3mm pads for the seat bolts.
Over kill? possibly, but I wasn't going to skimp in this area.
Brake line
Brake line

novicebuilder

posted on 15/4/13 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Thanks very much. Really helpful. I will buy seats first and go from there.
Steve

posted on 15/4/13 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a steal floor and was going to add the plates underneath

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.