Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LoCost Instruments
John P

posted on 31/1/14 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
LoCost Instruments

Although I’m nowhere near needing them I’m still trying to sort out the most LoCost way to source the instruments for my Zetec engined, MT75 gearbox build.

I would prefer separate instruments (or at least the look of separate instruments) and some years ago I notice builders were apparently using Triumph Dolomite or MGB instruments but are these really useable on a different engine / gearbox.

I’m going to be using Megajolt for ignition so assume getting the tacho to read may not be too difficult but what about the speedo?

I believe you can get mechanical speedos re-calibrated but this looks expensive bearing in mind my main reason for going this route is to minimise costs.

Also how difficult would it be to run a speedo cable in a LoCost. It looks as though that’s one reason many choose to go electronic.

Finally, has anyone successfully used instruments from a Capri. These are available cheaply but I still want the final result to look good as it’s obviously a focal point when in the car.

John.

whitestu

posted on 31/1/14 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
I originally used the clocks that came with my donor Sierra. They worked perfectly and were easy to fit, but weren't single gauges.

I use an Acewell unit now from Russ Bost which is also pretty locost as it does everything I need and was about £100.

Stu

Smoking Frog

posted on 31/1/14 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
If the speedo cable is a problem, am I right in saying the MT75 gearbox has electronic connection as well as mechanical. Don't know much else though and could well be wrong. I ended up with a digi unit as they are easy to calibrate.
John P

posted on 31/1/14 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
It has got a speed sensor but I thought that was connected to the ECU in the original setup.
John P

posted on 31/1/14 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Following on from the comment about a built in speed sensor I've now found this on the RHOCAR website:

"on reading my haynes manual i found a speed sensor on the mt75 gearbox which apparently gives a signal to the fuel computer after reading the wireing drawing i decided the yellow brown must be the signal wire so i taped into it and fed it to the red blue on the speedo and away she went i was delighted and whats better the calibration was spot on."

Doesn't answer my original query but may help if I eventually go for an electronic speedo.

Smoking Frog

posted on 31/1/14 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
If calibration will be an issue I think the locost way would be a digi dash.
paulf

posted on 31/1/14 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have used Smiths type instruments in my car as I wanted a traditional looking dash.The speedo I used is a 1000 rev per mile unit and with a type 9 box and 3.89 diff it turned out to be calibrated almost perfectly, I think they sometimes have different turns per mile calibration and it is usually indicated by a figure on the bottom of the dial.I ran the cable through the side of the transmission tunnel and across the floor in front of the drivers seat then up the side and under the dash using a sierra cable that I cut and shut to suit the smiths speedo connection.The tacho is easily driven from a megajolt or the signal from the Edis module and the rest of the instruments just require the appropriate senders fitting.
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.