Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: opinion on these seat belt anchorages and the options
killerferret666

posted on 3/3/14 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
opinion on these seat belt anchorages and the options

So the chassis I got is from america and the rules there are nothing like our rules...I mean nothing...Im not even sure they have rules for their test.

does it move by itself ...check
can it stop...check
you're good to go!

so the seatbelt anchorages are seam welded plates on to the chassis main rails, the metal plates are about 10mm thick. no Triangulation though....

The photos below show how they currently are and im after peoples thoughts.

1. Do you think they would be ok how they are?

2.The solution for the top mount would the red triangle support be out far enough, (this would be my ideal as well be hid under insulation and carpet) or does it require the green outline (shown on mount in background of 1st pic). the long eye is because i need to move the mount for the belt up about 20mm to meet requirements.

3. The seat belt floor / side mounts. Im never going to be able to weld in that space. So the solution I have thought of is get some box section weld in both sides a threaded rod. remove the old mount and then weld the box section on to the chassis in its place and to the floor. (can ignore the wire throttle cable holding that was to allow me to test)

Thoughts welcome!

[Edited on 3/3/14 by killerferret666]

Building DDR GT4

Miami Gt4 Blog - Click Here

40inches

posted on 3/3/14 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
With the top one, I would go with the green bracing, if possible.
The bottom ones. I would bolt/rivet a 4mm plate, with a nut welded underneath, beneath the floor and fit a spacer between the floor and existing mount. I did something similar with my outside mounts, passed IVA with no problem.

killerferret666

posted on 3/3/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
With the top one, I would go with the green bracing, if possible.
The bottom ones. I would bolt/rivet a 4mm plate, with a nut welded underneath, beneath the floor and fit a spacer between the floor and existing mount. I did something similar with my outside mounts, passed IVA with no problem.

thanks for the reply, the green is possible but not ideal in just terms of the look.

As for the bottom ones, that idea is something that may be possible.

1) did you weld the spacer into place top and bottom (seam welding that of course wont be possible)

2) the plate in the floor, was your floor a structural area or just floor pan, as my plate would just be on the bottom of the floor pan.

Thanks again!

[Edited on 3/3/14 by killerferret666]

Building DDR GT4

40inches

posted on 3/3/14 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
The plate was around 100mm square, 2 rivets into the bottom of the outside chassis member, 2 M8 bolts through the floor.
The spacer just a tight fit, and clamped when the harness bolt was tightened.
Imagine a plate similar to this, but thicker and any size you like.
For the inside mounts, you could make the plate rectangular, to span both mounts and the chassis rails.

The Black Flash

posted on 3/3/14 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Which way's the direction of pull? Up and to the right I guess?
killerferret666

posted on 4/3/14 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
Which way's the direction of pull? Up and to the right I guess?

for the bottom anchorage;

Yep and up to the right. The chair is on runners so depends on runner position, but it will be still slightly to the right when set to 120 odd mm from the furthest back position.

Building DDR GT4

The Black Flash

posted on 4/3/14 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Well not being an engineer it's hard to say for sure. They're pretty thick plates. But if it were me I'd put the maximum amount of triangulation in, just because it would look more right.
I very much doubt that it'll make a noticable difference to the final look...it'll be one of those things that you'll know, but nobody else will notice.

gremlin1234

posted on 4/3/14 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
in the top ones, why do you need a bolt on eye?, much stronger just fixing direct to the bracket.
but also:
are they high enough?

killerferret666

posted on 4/3/14 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
in the top ones, why do you need a bolt on eye?, much stronger just fixing direct to the bracket.
but also:
are they high enough?

What do you mean fixing direct? Excuse my stupidity lol

Doesn't have to be an eye I just wanted one for testing what length I'd need.
Their current position is roughly 20mm too low so will need spacers on top.

Building DDR GT4

steve m

posted on 5/3/14 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
What about cutting the steel plates off, and drilling a hole through the bulkhead, and sticking the eye bolt through the hole
with a nut and washer either side ?

has to be a lot neater, stronger

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

killerferret666

posted on 5/3/14 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
What about cutting the steel plates off, and drilling a hole through the bulkhead, and sticking the eye bolt through the hole
with a nut and washer either side ?

has to be a lot neater, stronger

steve

Hi Steve, I actually like that idea the most, like you say neater and stronger....however the top mounts are too low by about 20mm so would be too low directly through the chassis and the bottom ones I wouldn't be able to drill a hole and screw from the tunnel behind in the centre as it would foul on the coolant pipes that are in the tunnel and then fail on that.

[Edited on 5/3/14 by killerferret666]

Building DDR GT4

The Black Flash

posted on 5/3/14 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Re: the spacers, again I am not an engineer, but the eyes on mine screw into long threaded bosses - probably with about an inch of thread. I'm not sure I'd be happy with it just going into a nut, then being spaced out by an inch, if that's what you meant? It feels as if that would apply an awful lot of leverage on things.

It may or may not help but bear in mind that it's not the mountings which have to be at a certain height - it's the effective path of the belt. Your mounts could be on the floor, if the belt passed up and over a solid round bar which was at the right height. So you could maybe get some lengths of 20mm tube and bolt/weld it along the top of your main chassis tube, run the belts over that, then put new mounts in lower down. Though I guess that might put them in the engine bay

killerferret666

posted on 5/3/14 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
Re: the spacers, again I am not an engineer, but the eyes on mine screw into long threaded bosses - probably with about an inch of thread. I'm not sure I'd be happy with it just going into a nut, then being spaced out by an inch, if that's what you meant? It feels as if that would apply an awful lot of leverage on things.

It may or may not help but bear in mind that it's not the mountings which have to be at a certain height - it's the effective path of the belt. Your mounts could be on the floor, if the belt passed up and over a solid round bar which was at the right height. So you could maybe get some lengths of 20mm tube and bolt/weld it along the top of your main chassis tube, run the belts over that, then put new mounts in lower down. Though I guess that might put them in the engine bay

I agree,

* I think the top mounts I'll go with a threaded boss welded into / through the mounting bracket with triangulation - That should be the top mounts sorted without any issues and get the belts up to the required point without any extra welding.

* The bottom I'm thinking the plate under the floor with a welded nut as suggested, bolted through the floor plan and riverted to the chassis rail to the side. Spacers between the main plate and floor.

All the above using bolts and not eyes to ensure I can get them as tight as required.
This almost sounds like a plan!

Building DDR GT4

killerferret666

posted on 19/3/14 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Do the nuts on the top anchorage have to be welded or because they are accessible can be locking nylon nuts?

Building DDR GT4

40inches

posted on 19/3/14 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
If the nut is easily accessible, a Nyloc would be fine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.