Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative donor Indicator/Wiper stalks
rufus357

posted on 28/6/22 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Alternative donor Indicator/Wiper stalks

Has anyone found a good donor for Wiper/Indictor/Lights stalks? that look more modern but fit well with Sierra Steering column (& preferably Sierra cowl)

Thanks

roadrunner

posted on 28/6/22 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
You ditch the stalks in favor of switches.
rufus357

posted on 28/6/22 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks but I am trying to get away from switches .
nick205

posted on 28/6/22 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
From personal experience I can advise that column stalks are easier to operate than dash switches when you're harnessed in the car. Once you're properly harnessed in you can't move much and probably won't be able to reach the dash to operate switches.

I used my donor Sierra steering column and stalks. Even wired the horn up to the washer jet push on the end of the stalk to make it easier to reach and be able to operate. Only dash mounted switch was rear fog light.

David Jenkins

posted on 28/6/22 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I modified my Sierra stalk following guidance I found on the inter-webbie - if you cut the stalk about 1 cm away from the outer edge of the bump near the pivot you end up with a very short stalk (obviously!). There is a hole in this short stalk, into which I epoxied a length of stainless steel, and glued a knob at the far end (I turned the knob on my lathe). Bent the rod into an appropriate shape, for easy access. I don't have pictures of either the process or the finished result, but I thought it looked decent. It also lasted about 11 years, and as far as I know it still works for the new owner.

Please note: if you decide to hack at a Sierra stalk, don't blame me if you make the cut and don't find a hole!

big_wasa

posted on 28/6/22 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Problem now is replacing one.
peter030371

posted on 29/6/22 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
All the buttons I need whilst normal driving are on the steering wheel, don't have to take my hands off the wheel other than to change gear The connections run through a quick release fitting (with built in Lemo plug/socket) and come out under the dash via a curly cable. I have a slip ring from ebay that cost about £10 to replace the curly cable next time I am working in that area of the car but currently it works so no rush to change it really...just a slip ring will look neater in an area you can't see but I KNOW its there so will change it one day

The less important ones are on the dash but positioned so I can reach them when fully strapped in. I ditched the bulky Sierra steering column outer and saved a lot of weight at the same time so don't have anything to mount stalks on anyway

Dash layout
Dash layout

HowardB

posted on 29/6/22 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Perhaps a hybrid approach might work, switches mounted on a plate behind the wheel, no complexity of it moving with the wheel, and easier to reach than the dash. I believe stuff behind the wheel is subject to different IVA testing to dash bits?

With the advent of 3D printing perhaps there is scope for a nice housing for the switches and controls?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.