Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4-point harness problem
David Jenkins

posted on 8/4/05 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
4-point harness problem

I have a problem with my 4-point harness lap belt riding up when I tighten the shoulder straps - sometimes it rides up on its own, while I'm driving.
I believe that the first problem area is the position of the lower mounts - they're in the conventional place for lap-and-diagonals, but maybe 4-pointers should have them further forward (so they pull down instead of back).
One solution is to fit a 5-point harness, but I haven't a clue where the 5th one should be mounted (apart from somewhere around my crutch!).
I don't want to take my car to bits to fix this problem as I've only recently got it on the road... but I would prefer that the lap belt wasn't sitting on my abdomen as I pelt down twisty Suffolk roads...
Any practical suggestions? or Links to informative websites?

David

USEFUL LINKS (adding as I find them)

Willans
G-Force

[Edited on 8/4/05 by David Jenkins]

alister667

posted on 8/4/05 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Our SVA tester took exception to this as well. IN the end I had to fit a full 5-point harness as the only way round it.

I secured a steel bracket to the floor crossmember with 2 bolts, and bolted the eye piece into that. The harness itself had to be a 5-piece racing (twist release) type.

Hope this is of help

Ali

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 8/4/05 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
mine used to do that too,

i used to tighten the lap strap first then the shoulder straps (not too tight)

other option is to develop an over lapstrap gut

ATB
Locoboy

David Jenkins

posted on 8/4/05 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Ali,

Your 5th belt looks a long way in front of the seat - does it keep the lap belt in place?

Col - I already have a well-developed retaining gut - but I'd rather not rely on it!

David

timf

posted on 8/4/05 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
david
iirc you can get additional add on crutch straps for normal harnesses the use hoops that fit near the buckle

David Jenkins

posted on 8/4/05 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Tim,

I've heard of them, but can't find a link.

Anyone know of a link, or a name for a Google search?

David

locoboy

posted on 8/4/05 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
if you dont want it to be a structural part of the belt assembly then try this company for bits of webbing and suitable adjusters etc.

ATB
Locoboy

alister667

posted on 8/4/05 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
David,
Yes it does it's job pretty well, the lap belts keep the buckle close to you, the crotch strap pulls it down and slightly away (doesn't matter if your lap belts are anywhere near right) and the chest straps tend to pull up a bit.
Perhaps the photo is from a misleading angle - if the securing point was much nearer the front of the seat the belt mightn't clear over the seat.
I do favour the overstrap gut idea though and have been working hard on this solution over the winter months!

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Ali,

Your 5th belt looks a long way in front of the seat - does it keep the lap belt in place?

Col - I already have a well-developed retaining gut - but I'd rather not rely on it!

David

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
givemethebighammer

posted on 8/4/05 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
really the 5th (and 6th) straps should come up through the seat. Too far forward and the strap won't be effective in stopping you submarine or will partially work and will cause you a injury in the process

I have cut a hole in my MK seats like the photo. The six points attach to the chassis under the seats. The belts all attach very snuggly (is that a word ?). Hence the belts are all taking the strain at the time of the impact (my body moves very little before the belts restrain me).

just my 10p's worth. Rescued attachment hole for six pts.jpg
Rescued attachment hole for six pts.jpg

givemethebighammer

posted on 8/4/05 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
my six pints came with these instructions and warning as follows:

Never run the anti-sub strap over the front line of the seat. Such an installation would eliminate ant-sub straps intended function. Submarining and severe injuries may occur during a frontal crash.

(I have SCHROTH / safety devices harnesses)

[Edited on 8/4/05 by givemethebighammer] Rescued attachment belts1.jpg
Rescued attachment belts1.jpg

alister667

posted on 8/4/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
The SVA testers problem was that the buckle was too high and would allow submarining and also cause injury on impact being so high - if you tightened the should straps up the buckle could go up towards the solar plexus.

I was under the impression it was the position of the buckle / cross straps that caused submarining, ie if they're too high. I reckoned that the (single) lower strap's job was to pull the buckle/side straps into a safer position - NOT to take bodyweight in the event of a crash/submarining. If you want it to do that job then you need a 6 point harness - a 5 point will have you singing falsetto surely?
Having it forward means my plums aren't in serious danger. Well, no more than normal.
I don't think I could get the 5th point much closer without cutting a lump out of my Cobra 7's anyhow!

givemethebighammer

posted on 8/4/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alister667
The SVA testers problem was that the buckle was too high and would allow submarining and also cause injury on impact being so high - if you tightened the should straps up the buckle could go up towards the solar plexus.

I was under the impression it was the position of the buckle / cross straps that caused submarining, ie if they're too high. I reckoned that the (single) lower strap's job was to pull the buckle/side straps into a safer position - NOT to take bodyweight in the event of a crash/submarining. If you want it to do that job then you need a 6 point harness - a 5 point will have you singing falsetto surely?
Having it forward means my plums aren't in serious danger. Well, no more than normal.
I don't think I could get the 5th point much closer without cutting a lump out of my Cobra 7's anyhow!

Plums - exactly why I went for the six point option not five. Without the fifth and sixth straps my lap belt had a tendency to end up too high whatever I did (I'm only 5'7" and 9st). I think you are right in saying that the fifth and sixth straps are not there to take any of the strain, only put the lap belt in the correct position. However remembering the above (5'7" and 9st) I could probably fairly easily slide under the lap belt (fibreglass seats too) without the ffth and sixth straps.

Basically the six point option holds me very securely and gives me confidence in its effectiveness.

Got to say though the my harnesses are FIA approved so the fitting instructions and warning must have been well thought out.

actual instructions attached Rescued attachment scan3.JPG
Rescued attachment scan3.JPG

givemethebighammer

posted on 8/4/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
and the rear of the instructions:

front says not intended to act as a body restraint rear says to reinforce mounting to hold load applied in crash. Talk about covering yourself legally. Rescued attachment scan4.jpg
Rescued attachment scan4.jpg

paulf

posted on 8/4/05 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I am also finding the same problem with my Luke 4 points and have been wondering if I could get an add on 5th strap.
I find that doing up the lap straps tightly first helps but straps still eventually ride up.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Tim,

I've heard of them, but can't find a link.

Anyone know of a link, or a name for a Google search?

David

MikeR

posted on 8/4/05 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
This is why i've been looking at 6 point harnesses. Also i'm trying to find some that have the adjusters on the middle near the release instead of the end by the chassis attachment. When ever i get in someones car i always find it hard to do up the belts cause of the adjusters being impossible to reach.

My plan was to also use expanding foam for the seat. Any ideas how i'd use a crotch strap with that?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.