Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Removal Sierra Donor
John

posted on 27/11/02 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
Engine Removal Sierra Donor

I am about to remove the 1.8 CVH engine and gearbox from my donor Sierra, the Haynes manual states that the lifting points are at the top of the engine block. I have found these but they are just two tapped holes in the block.

My question is; is there a standard lifting bracket available to bolt into these holes. I am using a crane to lift the engine.

Also I noticed, on "A Racing Car is Born", that they used rope to thread through lifting brackets and support engine. Is this the usual way of connecting engine to crane.

Thanks for help anyone can give.

John.

Working on a CVH 1.8 engined Locost. Hoping to use as much as possible of Sierra donor. £210 left.

sg_frost
Builder

Posts 104
Registered 6/11/02

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roaster in college with students, gulp!

posted on 27/11/02 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
Although the corrct way to lift the engine would be to bolt lifting brackets to the engine, it is usually done by looping a rope through the inlet manifold and exhaust manifold and tying at the top. Make sure the rope is strong enough, not just a piece of string!! Also make sure your knot is tight. Probably find everyone here has done this at some time or other.
theconrodkid

posted on 27/11/02 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
there should be 2 loops one on each manifold,use old seatbelts as a sling if you havnt got a chain
stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/11/02 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
making up a couple brackets, if you already have steel for the build, would be pretty easy....

I looped around the water pump body too. NOT the shaft.

Heres how its done on a V6.

Rescued attachment engine.jpg
Rescued attachment engine.jpg

johnston

posted on 28/11/02 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
my fave is to jack the car as high as poss and lower the engin on jacks and slide out the front

if your strippin the car and dont need to move it u can get steering and suspension out with it in 1 go

John

posted on 29/11/02 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

John.

Working on a CVH 1.8 engined Locost. Hoping to use as much as possible of Sierra donor. £210 left.

Viper

posted on 29/11/02 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
if you are scrapping the sierra then my fav way is to cut the slam panel and everthing below it out. that way you don't ned to lift the engine very high it comes straight out the front with the box still on of course....
best of luck

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eenud

posted on 1/12/02 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
John,

I stripped my sierra yesterday and now have on pile of bits I don’t need and all the bits I want, as well as the shell cut up into sections (with a bolsters chisel) and loaded into the trailer awaiting the local tip opening on Monday. Good job the neighbours were away as the wife says I was making a bit of noise!

Anyway I digress, I removed the complete front sub frame in one go, then lifted the body up and over. The interior and doors, bonnet etc were already removed so it was surprisingly light.

10 hours from driving the car into the garage to caring it out in bits, I need a lie down.

Ian

Dunc

posted on 2/12/02 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yeh, unbolt the subframe and gearbox in one go. Anti roll bar and front uprights and the steering column as it comes through the bulk head. take out the dash and all the bits in there (pedals steering column etc) get the wiring loom pulled out up to the fuse box, unbolt the fuse box and cut a channel with a small angle grinder from the fuse box hole down to where the wiring loom goes through the bulk head and pull all the wires out and dump them on the engine. Unbolt everthing else in the engine bay and put on engine.

Lift car over engine and back then remove rear subframe and fuel tank. Put car shell on trailer ready to be taken to metal merchant. Total time : 3 hours 12 mins, in the dark with only torches.

I kept doors on and cut the wiring loom where it goes grommet, where it goes up side of windscreen and at rear passenger doors, remembering not to cut the handbrake wire of course! This was on a 1600 pinto, the more upmarket cars have a more complicated wiring loom, especially the EFI's as it passes through the bulkhead in 4 different places.

eenud

posted on 3/12/02 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Did I say 10 hours .........

I meant one hour starting int middle of night with no tourches only candles n pot ole n't middle of road with only me bare 'ands n't adjustable spanner!!!!!

James

posted on 4/12/02 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eenud
Did I say 10 hours .........

I meant one hour starting int middle of night with no tourches only candles n pot ole n't middle of road with only me bare 'ands n't adjustable spanner!!!!!

You mean you had an adjustable spanner??? Lucky git!

All I had was m' teeth!

Mark H

posted on 9/12/02 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
You got teeth??

Lucky bugger!!

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

James

posted on 10/12/02 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark H
Lucky bugger!!

Yeah, the teeth weren't the problem though- more that I was doing it in the pitch black with both hands handcuffed to the steering wheel at the time.

Cheers,

James

P.S. Does this remind anyone of that Monty Python sketch? To paraphrase somewhat:
Michael Palin in best Yorkshire(?) accent:
"When I was a boy, after spending 36 hours a day oop pit we'd be sent to bed by Father with nothing but a thorough thrashing with a sharp breadknife...."

interestedparty

posted on 10/12/02 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Last Sierra I took to pieces, it ran out of petrol as I was approaching the garage. By the time it had coasted to a halt I had completely dismantled it, down to the individual nuts and bolts, I had cut the panels into pieces small enough to go through a letter box and nearly but not quite burned my hands on the still hot exhaust manifold.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

jollygreengiant

posted on 11/12/02 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
You were lucky I come from Arabia where I'd done on 10 counts of thievin camels!
Mark H

posted on 11/12/02 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
If any of us had cars as decent and fast as our bullsh*t, we'd be the envy of men everywhere!

I'll be happy if I get the friggin Sierra out of my garage, so my locost doesn't rust to death.

Mark Harrison and

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/12/02 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
Last Sierra I took to pieces, it ran out of petrol as I was approaching the garage. By the time it had coasted to a halt I had completely dismantled it, down to the individual nuts and bolts, I had cut the panels into pieces small enough to go through a letter box and nearly but not quite burned my hands on the still hot exhaust manifold.

John

You live in Corby then?

atb

Steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 11/12/02 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
You were lucky I come from Arabia where I'd done on 10 counts of thievin camels!

I never knew Saidi was just off the A45!!!!

Bad news about Griggs on the news - did you hear?

atb

steve

Mark H

posted on 22/12/02 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Good news!

Today I managed to finish cutting up the Sierra, clearing out the garage, and putting my rolling chassis inside for the first time since I got it!

It took me about 10 hours too, all cut into "handy" liftable pieces.

Where is it now? In the back garden of course. it takes about three times the space, and will be about a dozen car loads to the trip.

Do I have to include the cost of a new interior in my wifes car as a disposal cost? What about a new tumble dryer, where I almost ripped the door from its hinges with the back subframe?

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Harrison and

Viper

posted on 23/12/02 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
forgive me for sounding stupid (but here goes anyway) wouldn't it have been a lot easier to have your local scrappy take it away in one bit? it cost me a tenner for the chap to come round with his hiab..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dunc

posted on 24/12/02 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
I'd def go the 'take it away in one go' after trying to cut a car up with an angle grinder. Must've cost at least £10 just for the cutting discs never mind all the t-cut I had to buy to get the metal crap off my neighbours paintwork. Tried loads of methods but the best, quickest and cheapest is to leave it whole.
interestedparty

posted on 24/12/02 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Viper
forgive me for sounding stupid (but here goes anyway) wouldn't it have been a lot easier to have your local scrappy take it away in one bit? it cost me a tenner for the chap to come round with his hiab..

Depends on where you live, in my area and I can bribe the local (15miles away) scrappies to come and take it away for £50. Other areas it can cost £90.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Mark H

posted on 24/12/02 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Viper,

Believe me, it would have been MUCH easier to get rid in one go. Especially half way through when in no way could it be called fun any more.

I went to the local scrappies, and he didn't want to pick it up for cash, let me drag it there or anything. He just didn't want it!

In hindsight, I should have spent more time finding someone who would pick it up. If I was a skank, I could have dumped it, but, well, I'm not!

In fact, now I'm not using most of the bits from the Sierra that I planned to - engine, diff, loom etc (plans changed half way through!) I could have brought individual parts and saved loads of time. That said, I sold enough parts on Ebay to cover the 50 quid it cost me.

At least the garage is clear for a good start in 2003!

Have a good Christmas and properous new year!

Mark Harrison and

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.