Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Interior SVA issues
Megatron-UK

posted on 12/6/06 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Interior SVA issues

We've starting doing bits of interior work for the car and basically are at a position where we need a bit of guidance as to how to proceed.

The dash is mdf with an alluminium sheet over the top, with instruments recessed into a cutout behind. One of the problems we've got is that the scuttle is actually steel in our case (pre built when we bought the chassis tubes) so we need something to give an edge where the scuttle and dashboard meet. What we'd like to do is this:

Dash top - wing piping
Dash top - wing piping

Dash top - wing piping 2
Dash top - wing piping 2

A nice simple bead using wing piping. But I guess Mr SVA Man, he say no!

So how about this stuff:

Dash top - boot edging 1?
Dash top - boot edging 1?

Dash top - boot edging 2?
Dash top - boot edging 2?

Dash sides - boot edging 3?
Dash sides - boot edging 3?

... it's just some boot/rear hatch rubber seal. We'd be fitting new stuff of course!

We'd probably try and squeeze both on there at the same time, and then pull the ugly thick stuff off once it's on the road.

Another thing is seat belts.

Like the fool I am, we bought Roadster 7's way back when we started the car... without harness cut-outs.
This means that our nice red sabelt harnesses won't fit in the kind of manner needed for the SVA... so we've tried fitting some inertia reel belts for SVA reasons - we'll also be fitting eye bolts to clip normal harnesses in at a later date.

So, what do people think? ....

Inertia reel belts 1
Inertia reel belts 1

Inertia reel belts 2
Inertia reel belts 2

Passable? I can't see why not, as the mountings are substantial and there's nothing in the way of the belt itself.

Michael

posted on 12/6/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the problem with SVA regarding the belt mounts around those seats as mine are exactly the same apart from my top mounts are high and mounting on a tube the same diameter and thickness as the Roll Bar.
Megatron-UK

posted on 12/6/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is that becuase the seats don't have cutouts for the harnesses to slot through it would have meant running the belts around the sides of the seat - something I know that wouldn't meet SVA tests... we went with the mid-mounted inertia reels as a temporary measure to get round it.
paulf

posted on 12/6/06 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have a steel scuttle and ally dash and i made some piping like wing piping from some plastic tube with a strip of vinyl sewn around it, this was the sandwiched between the dash and scuttle and was no problem for the SVA.
Paul.

Megatron-UK

posted on 12/6/06 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul - sounds like a beefier version of that wing piping we've got could work then.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.