Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crank Case Breather????
rpsmith

posted on 8/9/06 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Crank Case Breather????

On my tin top (Peugeot 106) I have a K&N Induction kit fitted, but i have been having problems recently with the Idle Control Valve and Throttle Position Sensor.

To try and cure the problem i have been removing them both on a regular basis and cleaning them as they get quite gummed up with oil.

My question is, why does the crank case breather feed back into the induction system as it seems to be sucking in oil. Can i just remove the crank case breather from the induction system and simply fit a breather filter to the end of the pipe.

Are there any other reasons why the crank case vents back into the induction system???????

Thanks

Rich Rescued attachment Induction Kit.jpg
Rescued attachment Induction Kit.jpg

mookaloid

posted on 8/9/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
The induction system creates a slight vacuum in the breather so that air is pulled out of the crank case - this reduces oil leaks and ensures that any noxious fumes are burnt and pass through the exhaust

if you just disconnect this pipe you really need to connect it to a catch tank and filter the fumes from the tank also you risk crank case pressure build up which will cause the engine to p*ss oil out everywhere.

Best left if possible.

Cheers

Mark

rpsmith

posted on 8/9/06 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark

I knew there must be a reason for it, you learn something new everyday

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.