Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin Top Immobiliser
SALAD

posted on 22/9/06 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Tin Top Immobiliser

My insurance company are being so-and-so's, and say untill they are satisfied, I am not covered for theft

So.........Does anyone know where to locate the immobiliser on a 1995 Mk3 Golf GTi 16v??
They want to know make, model, serial numbers etc etc. It is the standard, factory fitted immobiliser with the chipped key.
I would have thought they could tell ME what it is and whether it is Thatcham approved Cat2 by looking on their computer and seeing what was fitted as standard at that time.......however, computer says no, so I have to find the info

Any ideas anyone?

rpsmith

posted on 22/9/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Try asking your local VW dealer, they should be able to help
nitram38

posted on 22/9/06 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
I would change insurers!!!
All you have to do is declare that a factory fitted immobiliser is fitted........end off!

Jon Ison

posted on 22/9/06 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
I would change insurers!!!
All you have to do is declare that a factory fitted immobiliser is fitted........end off!

Ditto.

nick205

posted on 22/9/06 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Don't let them jerk you about, as said you only need to declare that it's a factory fitted item - no more, no less.

You probably spoke to a noobie call centre agent who didn't know what they were on about

Danozeman

posted on 22/9/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ditto ditto.

Tell them so sod off. No one knows what the standard ones are..

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

SALAD

posted on 22/9/06 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a twenty minute argument with the s**t heads!

I think I need to calm down a bit.

We were going round in circles, thay want headed paper from a garage with the immobiliser details on!

I've now spoken to an alarm fitting centre, my usual garage AND VW, they all say the same as what you've all put above.....'Its a standard insurance approved Cat2 immobiliser' and that should be sufficient info for the insurance company!

I nearly got rude and told them where they could shove their insurance but I think its easier to get my friend at the garage to write me the details.

I had no problem with CHURCHILL before, as I said to them, just knowing my last car had a factory fitted alarm and immobiliser was sufficient, and no proof was needed. Waste of feckin' time

Rant over.

SALAD

posted on 22/9/06 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Looking likely that the security system in place is not going to be sufficient.

Therefore I'm probably going to have to pay £120 for a new immobiliser or £350 for a new Clifford Cat1 alarm and immobiliser system to bring my security into this decade
(serves me right for buying an 11yr old car I suppose)

Really don't need the extra cost at the mo.

ned

posted on 22/9/06 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
out of total curiousity would you mind naming the insurance co in question?

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SALAD

posted on 22/9/06 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
CHURCHILL, same as I used for my last car.
If 'computer says no' then 'we won't budge on this'.

Mark Allanson

posted on 22/9/06 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Best way is to ask if one of the grown ups would deal with your enquiry, always worked for me!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Chippy

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Very strange, I'm with Churchill for my tin top. The last car I had insured with them had no imobilizer, (too old), and that was covered for theft. Present one has a factory fitted one, but was not asked for any detail at all. As I said very strange. Now that doesn't help you much does it, but wierd how the same company seems to differ person to person. atb Ray.
chockymonster

posted on 22/9/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
From that year of VW it's going to be one of the older Logic systems, most probably a 951. They've all been delisted by thatcham but are still counted by insurance companies.

It maybe possible to cat a cat2-cat1 upgrade for alot cheaper than you're talking about.
Alternatively I'd change insurance company!

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SALAD

posted on 22/9/06 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've had some beer and chilled out a bit now I'm going to send details of the current system (even if I have to pay someone to check it and verify it).
I have a 50/50 chance of it being acceptable. If it is not, then I will firstly seek other insurers then as a last resort, update the security system.

I don't mean to construct mountainous features from mear mole formations, however, if I were to have known of such requirements/discrepencies at the time of taking out the insurance, then one may have sought alternative cover, therefore avoiding undue anguish and possible financial battering!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.