Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Passenger Footrest
RazMan

posted on 3/3/07 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Passenger Footrest

swmbo is complaining that her feet are not comfortable on long drives and it ocurred to me that a passenger footrest would be a good idea. Has anyone done something similar? I notice that Lotus & Noble have small 'toblerone' shapes in the footwell but they look too small to be comfortable.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 3/3/07 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I have seen people with similar footrests made out of checker plate Ally - also in rally cars for the Navs

I guess the design would depend on what your foot wells are like

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

RazMan

posted on 4/3/07 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Pretty much as the pic above really. Some chequer plate would look good or maybe some plain ally with large perforations.
CBS do a nice looking one but it looks far too square and would look like an afterthought (which of course it is )

I was even looking at swmbo's stainless cookery book stand which looks very similar .... she was not impressed and gave me 'the look'

[Edited on 4-3-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 4/3/07 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Ive used one from rally design,they cost less than £20,and easy to fit
RazMan

posted on 4/3/07 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Ah yes, thats very similar to the CBS one (£18 btw) Come to think of it - they sre identical

I might try a full width one which is low enough to use the space behind it as a small storage area. I see you have an air filter there! that must be noisy

Cheers,
Raz

PAUL FISHER

posted on 4/3/07 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
Ive not had it running yet,but BEC are so noisey anyway I am not expecting it to be a problem,with it sucking through a turbo.
RazMan

posted on 4/3/07 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
You might change your mind when you start driving it. My V6 was breathing through a 3" ally pipe which sat 6"behind the firewall in the engine bay and it was far too noisy so I enclosed it in the side pod (where I intended it to be) and it quietened down a fair bit - its just that all the induction roar is now pointing out of the car through the vent so bus queues get the full benefit now .

Side vent
Side vent

btw have you got dimensions for the Rally Design footrest to hand?

Cheers,
Raz

arrybradbury

posted on 4/3/07 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
Take a mould of her feet??
C10CoryM

posted on 4/3/07 at 03:10 AM Reply With Quote
Dont forget the amount of force that will be going through the footrest in a frontal crash. Theres been a few racers lose toes/feet to dead pedals that collapse and make a sharp edge.
The ones posted look sturdy enough.
Cheers.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

locostv8

posted on 4/3/07 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
This seems like a good idea for a foot rest since it adds a bit of hidden/lockable space.
http://home.comcast.net/%7Eolrowdy_01/footlocker.html

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

nitram38

posted on 4/3/07 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Because your legs are not bent, all you require is a piece of tube welded across your footwell just above heel height in the ball of your foot.
It's more "locost"

RazMan

posted on 4/3/07 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
LocostV8 - Now that really IS locost using an old baking tray! I had considered something like that already (only in chequerplate) and the storage space would certainly come in handy.

nitram38 - thats a good lateral thinking idea. B&Q do an ally table leg about 2" diameter which would serve nicely as a footrest, and it could be cut to fit the angle easily too.

Cheers,
Raz

nitram38

posted on 4/3/07 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
On my car I have a chassis rail just under my heels in front of my floor mounted pedals. This acts to brace me in corners and stops me putting pressure on the pedals under braking.
Howlor

posted on 4/3/07 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Carbon footrest nice!
locostv8

posted on 4/3/07 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
I would have a concern with the bar across in a wreck, could a foot be lodged either under or above and cause injury.

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery2/v/7slotgrille/hssss/

RazMan

posted on 4/3/07 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I think it would be as safe as any other internal accessory really. After all it is in one of the strongest areas deep in the centre of the chassis. I suppose it depends on how far you carry that idea though - a seat runner could spear you in the leg, a dashboard could fracture and splinter etc etc.

A simple ally tube would be quite the most elegant option imo.

Cheers,
Raz

DarrenW

posted on 5/3/07 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
My Mac#1 came supplied with a passenger foot rest as std.

02GF74

posted on 5/3/07 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
stick a bean bad in there>?
RazMan

posted on 5/3/07 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted ..... Rescued attachment Passenger Footrest2.jpg
Rescued attachment Passenger Footrest2.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 5/3/07 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
The things we do to satisfy our women

[Edited on 5-3-07 by RazMan] Rescued attachment Passenger Footrest1.jpg
Rescued attachment Passenger Footrest1.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

iank

posted on 5/3/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Nice, how did you press in the grip diamonds? (or alternatively cleanly grind off the ones where you've put the holes?

p.s. is that a metro glovebox?

[Edited on 5/3/07 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

RazMan

posted on 5/3/07 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Nice, how did you press in the grip diamonds? (or alternatively cleanly grind off the ones where you've put the holes?

p.s. is that a metro glovebox?

I've been rumbled I've actually used three Metro gloveboxes - there's another two behind the seats.

I found the chequerplate shapes while clearing out the garage. I think they were from a Halfrauds heel pad or something similar because they had serrated edges which I ground off. The rest of the ally came out of my scrap bin, as did the little bit of rubber matting.

Cost was exactly zero! ..... no wait I had to buy some more pop rivets

Just got to get swmbo's approval before I bolt it to the floor.

Cheers,
Raz

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.