Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wanted - Small Milling M/C
Alan_Thomas

posted on 21/1/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Wanted - Small Milling M/C

I am after a used 'Warco Minor' or something about the same size. Bigger than the cheap 'Micromills' and smaller than a full size 'Bridgeport'

Would pay a good price and would travel for the right machine.

If you don't have one for sale any suggestions of somewhere that might would be greatfully rec'd

Cheers Alan

trextr7monkey

posted on 21/1/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Check out Axminster tools - they do a decent vertical miller for about £500 or 600 or thereabouts - phone upand ask if they have any discontinued models, kast years end of stock in the warehouse etc, we have found ours excellent for the money

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Wadders

posted on 21/1/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
have a look on here, you might have to go back to Decembers ads to find it, but there was a guy advertising a decent sounding benchtop miller for reasonable money, it was posted twice so obviously didn't sell, think It may have been david lewenthwaite, if so he is a working engineer, so it should be good tackle.

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/latest.html

ATB

Al.

Her you go, this was the ad

For Sale
Tools
I still have two Stanelco toggle presses that are surplus to my requirements. They are very useful for punching, riveting, crimping, or swaging. They are bench mounted and are light enough for two men to lift into a vehicle. I would be happy with £150.00 for each press.
I also have an Evan’s type P6/E double ended grinding/polishing machine with 2 off 6” diameter aluminium wheels, complete with a top mounted gravity feed water tank, in mint condition. This grinder was designed for the lapidary market, but is a very useful tool for grinding and polishing all types of hard materials. New these machines are over £700 new, and I am asking only £200 ovno.
I have Indexa Seiki tool adaptors with 40 int attachment. Shell/face mill adaptor Morse 3 taper adaptor Morse 2 taper adaptor Collet chuck adaptor with the following collets 5-6mm 6-7mm 8-9mm 11-12mm 12-13mm 13-14mm 19-20mm
Finally, I have a Swiss made bench mounted horizontal milling machine. This is a precision made machine which, whilst compact, is sturdily made, and will fit almost any work-bench.(it is about the size of a BCA jig borer) It has a lever operated table, which is ideal for gear cutting. It should be relatively simple to fit hand wheel driven lead-screws, however, I found the existing system works very well for a wide range of operations. It is fitted with a large powerful 3 phase motor, which I estimate to be 1.5 HP (although this is only an estimate) needless to say it will tackle most materials without hesitation. Surface rust has accumulated whilst in storage, but this can be removed quite easily, and all bearings and slides move smoothly and freely, and appear to be in good working order. Price £350.00 ono.
I am based in Hampshire, but I can arrange commercial transportation at cost if required. You can contact me on 07796-148966

David Lewthwaite
dw.lewthwaite [at] ntlworld.com
07796-148966
Fareham, Hampshire
England

Originally posted by Alan_Thomas
I am after a used 'Warco Minor' or something about the same size. Bigger than the cheap 'Micromills' and smaller than a full size 'Bridgeport'

Would pay a good price and would travel for the right machine.

If you don't have one for sale any suggestions of somewhere that might would be greatfully rec'd

Cheers Alan

[Edited on 21/1/08 by Wadders]

Alan_Thomas

posted on 21/1/08 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
have a look on here, you might have to go back to Decembers ads to find it, but there was a guy advertising a decent sounding benchtop miller for reasonable money, it was posted twice so obviously didn't sell, think It may have been david lewenthwaite, if so he is a working engineer, so it should be good tackle.
[Edited on 21/1/08 by Wadders]

The ad you listed is for a horizontal mill and I need a vertical mill, but its a good site and I will keep looking there.

Thanks - Alan

rf900rush

posted on 21/1/08 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I've had one of these for a while now.

If you're looking for s/hand check for play in the vertical Z axis (Spindle). It has been a pain on
mine for a while. I have just modded mine to remove the slack! much better now.
This mostly showed after fitting A DIY CNC system.
I've played with CNC for a while now and as a result want a better small Mill !

If money ever get's better I will need to spend a lot more time researching for a better option.
I would now want to see them in use before I Buy.

As you can see below these cheap imported machines can be invaluable pieces of kit for your Car builds.

Here is some of my Kitcar parts made. (Some Warco lathe work to).

Megasquirt Fuel Rail for GSXR600 TB's

Clutch Slave to miss prop adaptor for RF900R using original internals.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
woollard66

posted on 22/1/08 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
mill and lathe

if you want any machining done until you get your machine let me know i have
a large siamp italian horizontal / vertical mill suitable for small 4 cylinder engine block
and a 1964 colchester triumph i have restored
you might want to look amachine tool sites home engineer or something like that or model engineer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.